Fiber/Molasses in Feedlot Ration

Help Support CattleToday:

CVHFarmsLLC

Reaction score
Our local SE Texas feed supplier mills their own feedlot ration and adds peanut hull pellets for fiber source. Our 700lb feeder calves have access to a small pasture and will have access to hay. I was thinking about cutting out the peanut hull pellets from the mix since our feeder cows have pasture and hay. Am I missing something in my thought process in not needing the fiber supplement in the feed since they have free choice pasture/hay?

They also add molasses to the ration, but I'm beginning to question if its necessary? I've come across many of you feeding WSC or cracked corn with protein supplements and no molasses.

They will custom mix any way I ask so I'm considering going to a cracked corn with WCS for a protein boost as my own custom finishing ration. Any thoughts?

Molasses doesn't have that much nutritional value but improves palatabily and hold down dust. Peanut hills are pretty worthless but give the feed bulk and fills them up more quickly. Should work to hold down incidence of acidosis as well.

Molasses doesn't have that much nutritional value but improves palatabily and hold down dust. Peanut hills are pretty worthless but give the feed bulk and fills them up more quickly. Should work to hold down incidence of acidosis as well.
Do I really want something that is basically worthless filling them up on a finishing ration? Seems counterintuitive to me unless I am missing something.

Do I really want something that is basically worthless filling them up on a finishing ration? Seems counterintuitive to me unless I am missing something.
Personally I'd remove both and add more corn. Feed company should be able to reformulate it for you.

Latest posts