Fiat

Help Support CattleToday:

Is this just your opinion or is there a basis for your comment? I think that Dodge/Cummins will be produced as long as the public needs a truck powerful enough to pull heavy loads, now this is just my opinion as a Dodge/Cummins owner.

kerley":2thf5ljj said:
Is this just your opinion or is there a basis for your comment? I think that Dodge/Cummins will be produced as long as the public needs a truck powerful enough to pull heavy loads, now this is just my opinion as a Dodge/Cummins owner.

Just remember, it's already not a Dodge anymore.

Makes me wonder how much longer will Fiat continue to use the Cummins engine in the Ram pickup?

Never underestimate the ability of foreign ownership to screw up an American product.

Remember these?

1. Daimler Chysler

2. Deutz-Allis

Not knocking current products, but as a Ford tractor owner I don't have a lot of confidence in Fiat either.

I have some CNH stock purchased in the pre-Fiat days. Maybe I should unload it before it goes the way of GM?

If they ever dump that engine it will be one of the worst things to ever happen to the american truck market. Used dodge trucks will be worth gold if that ever happens.

Calhoun Farm said:
If they ever dump that engine it will be one of the worst things to ever happen to the american truck market. Used dodge trucks will be worth gold if that ever happens.

:shock: dodge and gold in same sentence that scares me

If you've ever tried to buy a 3rd gen 5.9 6spd manual you know what I mean. If Fiat dumps cummins you won't be able to find one on any used lots. Unless your drunk on (ford or GM) koolaid most guys will admit when it comes to pulling torque and reliablity the cummins is the motor of choice.

Calhoun Farm":2s9t7nf3 said:
If you've ever tried to buy a 3rd gen 5.9 6spd manual you know what I mean. If Fiat dumps cummins you won't be able to find one on any used lots. Unless your drunk on (ford or GM) koolaid most guys will admit when it comes to pulling torque and reliablity the cummins is the motor of choice.

CF I don't like dodge they have a excellent motor i can give them that... However the tranny is not perfectly matched up with the motor. The known problem is the tranny failures. I don't like driving manuals unless im in a tractor trailer or dumptruck. I get enough shifting driving those. I only have ford trucks as business trucks and farm trucks. If dodge used a ford or chevy tranny I would buy one today. I don't do GM either.

I don't think they're stupid.. They know that the cummins engine is a large part of the reason people are buying their trucks.
"It's not Dodge anymore"... no I guess not, but it's little more than a rebadging, They're built in the same plants, by the same people, and designed by the same engineers, and even owned by the same parent company...

Never underestimate domestic ownership to screw something up a domestic... GM would be a perfect example of that!.. FUGLY trucks that are built like garbage.. I'll take an old 1980 chevy truck any day, but these new things I wouldn't want near me.. I'd rather drive a Ford.... Actually, a "Fummins" might be perfect

I seriously doubt Fiat will be bankrupt in 5 years... "GM" already stands for "Government Motors".. I remember a comic strip that showed "the big 3", and it showed 3 electric car "plugged in" to the White House.. It was captioned "The future of plug-in vehicles".. I think that was quite accurate

Deutz and Allis were both makers of quality equipment, We love our Allis machinery, and would buy a Deutz tractor if we saw the right one... I think marketing has more to do with it than product quality... I'm hearing JD is making most of the smaller stuff in india, and the castings are of pizz poor quality, some break in half with a loader... There is good marketing, and domestic ownership screwing it up again with bad products... I don't trust any newer smaller equipment.. it's all become "consumer goods".. Take a look at a 1970's International tractor, heavy built, metal bodywork (though in the 80's they really started cheaping out like everyone). That was professional equipment.

Skyhightree1. I can say that for the tranny on the dodge I have IS too weak, but this isn't a problem because of a "bad" design, They do OK under stock power levels, When you start bumping the power up is when you start to have issues... I'm at about 350 HP, 700 ft lbs torque from 1700 RPM to 2200, The engines are just capable of delivering pretty much endless power and torque, especially at low RPM compared to the V8's, and that is the tranny killer... It's also what makes them work well for towing. I really would like a better tranny too, I'm tired of working on mine

Nesikep":3klynta7 said:
Skyhightree1. I can say that for the tranny on the dodge I have IS too weak, but this isn't a problem because of a "bad" design, They do OK under stock power levels, When you start bumping the power up is when you start to have issues... I'm at about 350 HP, 700 ft lbs torque from 1700 RPM to 2200, The engines are just capable of delivering pretty much endless power and torque, especially at low RPM compared to the V8's, and that is the tranny killer... It's also what makes them work well for towing. I really would like a better tranny too, I'm tired of working on mine

I truly would buy a dodge if they started using same trannys as ford or chevy.

The older Ford 4R trans was junk and wasn't much better than the dodge until they put the 5R in in '05. The allison is a good platform but like Nesi said when you start adding power most any stock trans is going to break. I had to build up the 48re in my '05 dodge and after I did it was solid and shifted nicely. The problem with Ford's are the motors.

I often think about my 1985 Ford F250 4 sp 4x4, what a great truck it was. I wish I had put a Cummins in it.

Calhoun Farm":2syjgz6h said:
The older Ford 4R trans was junk and wasn't much better than the dodge until they put the 5R in in '05. The allison is a good platform but like Nesi said when you start adding power most any stock trans is going to break. I had to build up the 48re in my '05 dodge and after I did it was solid and shifted nicely. The problem with Ford's are the motors.

The problem I have with fords are the front end suspension components and wheel hub bearings. I just replaced a head on a ford ranger that has over 400k miles on it . The problem with dodge even without adding extra horses was that the trannys were weak. When I got the new set of trucks almost 2 years ago I did look around even at dodge just to look and they were the cheapest around here. Is that true anywhere else? I say cheap based on what I was looking for out of all the same size truck and ammenities.

Around here all trucks are darned expensive. I just put ford knuckles and manual locking hubs (with old style wheel bearings) in my truck.. cost me about $1200 after replacing all the tie rods, ball joints, brake calipers, etc, but I won't have to spend $600 or more on wheel bearings either, and the manual locking hubs will save a little in wear and tear on the u joints and maybe even in fuel... The Ford tie rod system I think may save a bit in tire wear too.

kerley":3hqwh70l said:
I often think about my 1985 Ford F250 4 sp 4x4, what a great truck it was. I wish I had put a Cummins in it.

I try NOT to think about my 1985 Ford F150 4 sp 4x4. The only decent thing on it was that bulletproof 300 inline 6. The rest of the pickup was a POS.

Nothing too major, but something ailing it all the time. It had to be one sick dude who designed that TTB front axle! :yuck:

Uncle bought the pickup at a state surplus sale. It was a standard state spec issue F150 for SDGFP. Only options it had was AM radio and AC.

I bought the pickup with 117K at my uncle's retirement sale for $1750. 10 years later I donated the pickup with 150K and the clutch slipping to a community fundraiser auction. It brought a measly $250.

The pickup had a fresh oil change and a new battery in it. I had topped off the gas tank that morning to the tune of $70 and warned the buyer the fuel guage didn't work. :roll:

Kid who bought it seemed happy as a lark with his purchase. Should be, the battery, gas, and good tires on it were worth $250. Poor guy, welcome to Ford ownership! :lol:

Ford.. F%^k, Our Ride Died.

What about those old ford ranger diesels? They were good, but you can't find replacement head bolts, so if yours are stretched, there's no way to keep the head down tight.

John SD":1o6jhdff said:
kerley":1o6jhdff said:

I try NOT to think about my 1985 Ford F150 4 sp 4x4. The only decent thing on it was that bulletproof 300 inline 6. The rest of the pickup was a POS.

Nothing too major, but something ailing it all the time. It had to be one sick dude who designed that TTB front axle! :yuck:

Uncle bought the pickup at a state surplus sale. It was a standard state spec issue F150 for SDGFP. Only options it had was AM radio and AC.

I bought the pickup with 117K at my uncle's retirement sale for $1750. 10 years later I donated the pickup with 150K and the clutch slipping to a community fundraiser auction. It brought a measly $250.

The pickup had a fresh oil change and a new battery in it. I had topped off the gas tank that morning to the tune of $70 and warned the buyer the fuel guage didn't work. :roll:

Kid who bought it seemed happy as a lark with his purchase. Should be, the battery, gas, and good tires on it were worth $250. Poor guy, welcome to Ford ownership! :lol:
Sorry you had a bad experience with your ford. I bought mine new and took care of it, I was in business then and the business paid all truck and fuel expenses. I had the 302 EFI.

kerley said:
Is this just your opinion or is there a basis for your comment? I think that Dodge/Cummins will be produced as long as the public needs a truck powerful enough to pull heavy loads, now this is just my opinion as a Dodge/Cummins owner.[/quote
Fiat spent a lot of money buying the unions stock.Needing to expand worldwide and they do not have the capital to pull it off. Bond holders lost last time around and will not finance fiat again. A lot of the cars being sold are at a loss just to get rid of them.

kerley":33te56av said:
Sorry you had a bad experience with your ford. I bought mine new and took care of it, I was in business then and the business paid all truck and fuel expenses. I had the 302 EFI.

EFI would have been better. :nod: The 1985 300 in my half ton still had a carb on it. Emission hoses everywhere and a smog pump.

Smog pump locked up so I took the belt off. Tried to plug off most of the hoses but still had vaccuum leaks. Carb would shake loose internally and had to be removed from the intake manifold to access the screws to fix it.

Gotta say even with the carb problems that 300 would reliably start at -30 with 5W30 oil in it. No plug in either.

Heater/AC controls were a mess. Something up under the dash on the vaccuum controls needed replacement. No matter what I set the control on, the air flow blew out the AC vents.

Fixed that when I had to change the leaking heater core (Must admit that was an easy job) I just left the cover off so the heat would blow directly in the floor on the passenger side. :roll: New core did put out really good heat. ;-)

With hindsight, I did ask more of the pickup than I should have. I put overloads on the rear and a receiver hitch to pull my bumper pull 16' stock trailer. That was asking too much of a half ton with a 300.

The pickup was very high geared with 3.08 axles. State speced them that way for fuel economy. Light step bumper the state put on was worthless for pulling a trailer, so that was the reason for the receiver.

With the loaded trailer, any hill would require a downshift to 3rd so that meant a max speed of about 40 mph. Didn't want to drive any faster than that anyway because the TTB front end felt like it was tippy-toeing down the road as it was.

I've only had 2 Ram trucks so far, and drove them 100k miles. So far neither one of the Rams has left me without a truck to drive. Between the 2 Rams neither one has needed to go back to the dealer. All my Fords and my 1 Chevy had recalls or something needed fixing under the warranty period. I buy a new truck every 2-3 years, don't want to walk. And before I buy the next one I will be searching for the one that I feel is the best.

Latest posts