Few Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Mudge

Reaction score
Welp, Pardon my ignorance but in a few weeks i plan on buying either some Bred Cows or Heifers from a guy down the road for a late christmas present for my dad, but he only has experience with steers. and i didnt want to sound like an idiot in front of the guy so i just shook my head when he asked if i had any questions. But i do got some questions so ill ask here :oops:

The cows are Holsteins and 1 baby calve wont be able to consume the amount of milk the cow will produce, Will the excess in the bags hurt the cow? and what do i do if it is a problem, since milking isnt an option for him nor i.

Vaccinations, are they needed? if so what kind? and should i give them to both the Cow and the Calve when it pops out?

How do you get a Cow to accept an Orphan calf?

Few nooby questions. but any help is thankful :D

a holstein cow will give enough milk for 3 calves.i wouldnt start out with more than 1 cow till you get the hang of it.to get her to accept new calves.youll have to put her in the chute an let the calves suck.once she gets used to the calves sucking.all youll have todo is turn them in an out twice a day.an youll have to feed the cow some grain.you can wean the 1st calves at 3 months if they eating feed.an put 3 more calves on her.

I do the nurse cow thing also. Let the cow have her calf for a day or so. Then when you get a second calf, take her calf away from her for several hours, and let it get good and hungry. Then put the cow in a stall , and turn both calves in with her, stand and watch both calves suck, scold her if she kick at the new calf. When both calves fill up take them away from her again, put them where she can see both of them together. Then when the calves get good hungry,put them back with her again. Let them fill up and take them away again. Do this a few days, till you see she doesn't mind the second calf. When you see this turn them out into a small lot together and watch them.

oscar p":rqa95k2u said:
I do the nurse cow thing also. Let the cow have her calf for a day or so. Then when you get a second calf, take her calf away from her for several hours, and let it get good and hungry. Then put the cow in a stall , and turn both calves in with her, stand and watch both calves suck, scold her if she kick at the new calf. When both calves fill up take them away from her again, put them where she can see both of them together. Then when the calves get good hungry,put them back with her again. Let them fill up and take them away again. Do this a few days, till you see she doesn't mind the second calf. When you see this turn them out into a small lot together and watch them.

Good advice!

That's the way we did it for years and is almost foolproof unless you get a real %$#& cow on your hands.

Listen to this man! He knows what he's talking about! :lol:

Latest posts