Fetal Programming beef cows. If you don't feed them, don't expect much...

Help Support CattleToday:

Proper grazing management (IE, being a grass farmer) is applicable to any operation regardless of how wet or how dry it is, overgrazing, undergrazing, compaction, etc only compound the effects of a climate that's not ideal.

Nesikep said:
Proper grazing management (IE, being a grass farmer) is applicable to any operation regardless of how wet or how dry it is, overgrazing, undergrazing, compaction, etc only compound the effects of a climate that's not ideal.

amen.

Nesikep said:
I don't mind if the cow loses some condition while she's milking if the calf is growing well.. as long as she regains it after weaning and is in good shape for the next one.

This year I broke down and bought a molasses/protein tub for the yearling heifers and first timers, they can use it, but at $180 a tub I don't see how anyone can make those things pencil out for a herd

I hope they do. We've taken the bait on them this year and we're doing the fly tubs as well. We'll see after two years or so if they really make difference. The University and MFA swear they will make money. Our cows and calves both are fat and slick but it's been a GOOD spring so far. Mild temps, lots of rain, and we fertilized early. The grass is growing faster than they can eat it.

JParrott said:
Nesikep said:
I don't mind if the cow loses some condition while she's milking if the calf is growing well.. as long as she regains it after weaning and is in good shape for the next one.

This year I broke down and bought a molasses/protein tub for the yearling heifers and first timers, they can use it, but at $180 a tub I don't see how anyone can make those things pencil out for a herd

I hope they do. We've taken the bait on them this year and we're doing the fly tubs as well. We'll see after two years or so if they really make difference. The University and MFA swear they will make money. Our cows and calves both are fat and slick but it's been a GOOD spring so far. Mild temps, lots of rain, and we fertilized early. The grass is growing faster than they can eat it.

Why the fly tubs versus investing in an oiler?

Something new. We put up a back rubber too. The fly tubs are supposed to help control the horn flies from hatching out.

Right. We feed it in our mineral too. We are considering an oiler as well but unsure of resistance build up (even switching the chemical twice or more a year).

hornedfrogbbq said:
Right. We feed it in our mineral too. We are considering an oiler as well but unsure of resistance build up (even switching the chemical twice or more a year).
Each area is different there is no one cure all. You should switch every year to help prevent resistance.

Latest posts