fesue hay

Help Support CattleToday:

sambo

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the best time to harvest fesue hay. Last year I was told to cut it right about now by my mentor. He died awhile back and never told me what to look for. The seeds on my hay look like flowers. Does this mean the seeds are not mature yet? If not, how long from this stage do I have to cut the hay before the seeds fall off?

Fescue is best quality when cut at about 1/2 - 3/4 boot stage. Can't find the reference to quote from right now. The time of year isn't as important as the stage of growth. One year it may be ready in may the next not till june, it depends on the weather. Once it is headed out it wilol take about 2-6 weks to have viable seed. We combine it in july only because all of the seed, even from the late bloomers is ready to harvest. As with most grasses, the more leave in comparison to seed stalk the higher the quality.

dun

You don't say where you live. If you are seeing your neighbors cutting chances are it's time for you to cut. If you really want an exact answer take a few stems down to your FSA office and have them take a look at it or give them a call to see if anyone is cutting now. If you asked the folks at your feed store if anyone had started cutting fescue yet I bet they would be able to answer you as well.

I'm ready to cut here and was going to put down hay tomorrow but now it's supposed to be cloudy and there is a 30% chance of rain thrown in on Tuesday. The wind and low humidity/dew points got me tempted to go ahead and head out today but I just don't want to risk it. If it was going to be sunny through Monday I'd be out there now.

J

Latest posts