Fescue Toxicity without any Fescue growing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
There was a discussion on a different thread about symptoms like fescue toxicity, but they didn't have any fescue.
Here is a report:
At the recent Academy of Veterinary Consultants (AVC) summer conference, several presentations highlighted potential sources of cattle morbidity, where further study and increased awareness could help guide future management and biosecurity efforts.

Aaron Stam is a Federally Recognized Tribal Extension Agent for the Seminole Tribe in South Florida, one of the largest cow-calf operations in Florida. Following a mild winter in 2014, Seminole ranchers noted forage was abundant but cows lost body condition and calving rates dropped significantly. Subsequent testing ruled out mineral deficiencies and toxic plants, and the problem remained a mystery until a visiting veterinarian suggested the signs looked like fescue toxicosis.

There is no fescue grown in the area, but with help from the University of Florida and Biomin, the team began testing and found high levels of mycotoxins in local forages, especially Bermuda grass in low, wet areas during the cooler seasons.

Stam helped tribal ranchers run a two-year controlled trial using Biomin's Biofix supplement to mitigate effects of mycotoxins and saw significant improvements in calving rates and weaning weights. Stam points out that Bermuda grass dominates improved pastures across much of the Southeast, so the problem could be more widespread than realized.
https://www.bovinevetonline.com/article ... over-rocks

Ebenezer":1fws1ipi said:
Good reason to breed for resistance and know how to deal with it. Thanks.

If I were 20 years old I might make the effort to breed for resistance. At my age, I just breed to have a calf to sell. :help:

Bright Raven":3613s0lv said:
Ebenezer":3613s0lv said:

If I were 20 years old I might make the effort to breed for resistance. At my age, I just breed to have a calf to sell. :help:

I think a better way to put it would be "cull for resistance". If you have grass your cows need to be able to do okay on your grass. Any that won't need to leave.

callmefence":14i2jkmg said:
Bright Raven":14i2jkmg said:
Ebenezer":14i2jkmg said:

I think a better way to put it would be "cull for resistance". If you have grass your cows need to be able to do okay on your grass. Any that won't need to leave.

In that case, I don't have a horse in the race. I am thinking I need to cull on obesity. My girls could all sing for the fat lady at the Boston Opera.

callmefence":d7v9jj3t said:
Bright Raven":d7v9jj3t said:
Ebenezer":d7v9jj3t said:

Sorta like the way I was raised. If you didn't like what was put in front of you, you were going hungry.

True Grit Farms":fm0c4cb3 said:
callmefence":fm0c4cb3 said:
Bright Raven":fm0c4cb3 said:

Sorta like the way I was raised. If you didn't like what was put in front of you, you were going hungry.

And I bet you walked 20 miles to school - uphill, both ways.

callmefence":yjmk554c said:
Bright Raven":yjmk554c said:
Ebenezer":yjmk554c said:

Like I said: selection. Culling is an expense.

Latest posts