Fescue in hay

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
Ok, stupid Northerner question. Hay is short up here and we have a lot of people bringing up grass hay from Missouri. Our cows have never seen fescue, and I don't necessarily trust someone who says there isn't any in the hay. So if I got some of this hay do I need to worry or should I pass on it?

Feed it but kee a close eye on the cows. Some adapt to fescue quickly with no problems others don;t adapt as well, some never. Watch for foot issues mostly, that's usually the first thing you would see with problems from the endophyte in the fescue. It can be particularly bad in real cold weather since it cna restrict the flow of blood to the extremeties.

Based on what you are saying I think paying more for local hay is a better deal. We have had extremely cold weather here and expect to for the forseeable future (today is the exception, 30F!) and I need it for some calves I'm shipping in a month. Thanks for the quick replies!

Around here fescue hay is about all anyone feeds. Everything is majority fescue with a little red clover, alfalfa, orchard grass, or something else I can remember, but almost all fescue. If cows haven't grown up with fescue is that when you have problems with it?

j&lfarms":30g679xe said:
Around here fescue hay is about all anyone feeds. Everything is majority fescue with a little red clover, alfalfa, orchard grass, or something else I can remember, but almost all fescue. If cows haven't grown up with fescue is that when you have problems with it?
Yes, cows that are on the stuff have either adapted to it or have been culled.