Fescue Hay Protein Content

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
I am looking at buying some fescue hay that was tested and had a CP of 7%. Just curious as to what others think about that. What do you guys get for CP % on your fescue hay and do you have to supplement protein with it?

The supplement option depends on what you're feeding it to. 2nd stage dry cows will do fine on it, late third stage or lactating are going to need more protein. Calves would need substantially more.

that would be good enough to fill their bellies.wheat straw has 8% protine.youll need to give them something with protine in it.

bigbull338":1adpt0s6 said:
that would be good enough to fill their bellies.wheat straw has 8% protine.youll need to give them something with protine in it.
I didn't know wheat straw would have even that much. Is that straw after grain harvest or wheat cut for hay?

no its straw right out of the back of the combine.we baled some straw an had it tested.an it was 8% protine.it has some grain on it.

googled fescue hay protein

Fescue Hay

Fescue hay has a reputation as being low-quality hay. Most of the reason is the haymaker and not the grass. Most hay is made at or after seed maturity. Anytime a cool-season plant matures, quality drops rapidly (Kilgore et al., 1980). Crude protein will drop 0.5% per day from boot stage to mature seed stage. Research in southern Ohio (Sulc et al., 1997) indicated that endophyte-free and endophyte-infected fescue mixed with orchardgrass had crude protein levels between 11 and 12% on May 31. The secret to fescue hay production is adequate fertility and early cutting. Early grazing of hayfields prior to plants maturing to boot stage can delay maturity and still maintain acceptable yields. Since hay quite often is not harvested until June, the first cutting of hay can be considered a "second cutting." Make hay when fescue starts to show a few seed heads.

cleland":367bgqtc said:
I am looking at buying some fescue hay that was tested and had a CP of 7%. Just curious as to what others think about that. What do you guys get for CP % on your fescue hay and do you have to supplement protein with it?

If for dry cows fine. If for cows nursing calves move on down the road as that aint worth a crap. Ours routinely tests 10% cp.

Latest posts