Fescue Genetic Test

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE: I checked with the county extension agent: deer and cattle won't crossbreed. So that option is out.

Toxic Fescue, Toxic Johnson Grass...the important thing i learned is cattle will eat what they like and what they need of any one plant or grass. Cattle are hearty, they take care of themselves grazing. It's how they've been doing it for thousands of years, even before man domesticated them in the 1880's. The cattle control they own toxicity.

Toxic Fescue, Toxic Johnson Grass...the important thing i learned is cattle will eat what they like and what they need of any one plant or grass. Cattle are hearty, they take care of themselves grazing. It's how they've been doing it for thousands of years, even before man domesticated them in the 1880's. The cattle control they own toxicity.
That's true to some extent, but in the fescue belt, many places are 85% or more fescue. Selection is extremely important. Just as you wouldn't put a Highland in the desert or a Brahma in the extreme North, not all animals can handle the endophyte. FPKY31 laid it out earlier, what to look for.

Sounds good but most "good" pasture around here has almost no diversity to choose from.

Latest posts