Fescue for hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":14ifx1gb said:
I think all the stuff about endophytes is in a way hogwash. Yeah it supposedly makes cattle not perform as they should and want to lay around in the shade in hot weather. I have even heard it causes calving problems. I have never had calving problems. That is why I think for one endophytes causing that is hog wash. Secondly let me put it to you this way. If it was 95 degrees and the humidity was like at 70 percent and you were outside constantly wouldnt you want to lay around in the shade and stay cool? I know I would. In the summer when it is that hot i have no trouble getting my cows up I simply call them and they come running. I dont buy the endophyte causing problems at all. In fact endophytes in the fescue is what helps the grass resist drought and cold weather better than it would if it did not have the endophyte.
Now Professor, you have no doubt conducted years of research on the subject. I'm sure the agronomists of our Land Grant Universities will be interested in your findings. I was totally unaware that mismanagement could result in sloughing off of tails and feet. I wonder why endophyte free fescue results in higher gains and conception rates than endophyte infected fescue? I challenge you to contact Auburn University's College of Agriculture to let the faculty there know that their research is....how did you put it.....oh yes, hogwash! I'm sure they will be delighted to hear from you Dr. TTCLM.

A&Mfarms":i7a1ytmh said:
My farm is in NE Alabama and I have 25 acres to sow for hay. Need to get it going as quick as I can, b/c we lost other land we were renting. Is fescue/orcardgrass ok to sow in the spring and maybe get 1 cutting this year?
In our state, plant fescue in September or October for best results. Fescue seedlings are weak and won't compete well with summer grasses that you may have coming up in the spring.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2uokgulh said:
I think all the stuff about endophytes is in a way hogwash. Yeah it supposedly makes cattle not perform as they should and want to lay around in the shade in hot weather. I have even heard it causes calving problems. I have never had calving problems. That is why I think for one endophytes causing that is hog wash. Secondly let me put it to you this way. If it was 95 degrees and the humidity was like at 70 percent and you were outside constantly wouldnt you want to lay around in the shade and stay cool? I know I would. In the summer when it is that hot i have no trouble getting my cows up I simply call them and they come running. I dont buy the endophyte causing problems at all. In fact endophytes in the fescue is what helps the grass resist drought and cold weather better than it would if it did not have the endophyte.

Preach it brother. Management of a cattle heard is more important that endophyte fescue management. Give me a good Black Angus bull and healthy cows and that will stop most of the calving problems.

Mares do not produce milk off fescue hay alone. Orchard Grass will be better that the endophyte free fescue's as far as yield.

When planting fescue mixed with white clover, what ratio of fescue to clover is recommended?

D Land":29u4qm7e said:
When planting fescue mixed with white clover, what ratio of fescue to clover is recommended?

Depends on how it's being seeded and what the seed bed is like. If it's a new seedbed 8:1 fescue to ladino works, if you're putting it in an existing grass stand I'ld add about 50% to each.

dun

Howdy,

Fescue by itself is ok. The main reason for having a mix of clover (white clover) in there is for the natural nitrogen it puts back into the ground. Lowers the overall cost of fertilizer. My main fields are a mixed, fescue, timothy, orchard grass, white clover.

Latest posts