Fescue/Clover seeding

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I put this here cause I need a quicker answer and more people view this forum. We're going to top seed clover and not add N now. Can we or should we also top seed Fescue along with the clover?

Unless it's totally bare ground you won;t get much of a stand of fescue with just broadcasting. Bare tilled ground broadcast the fescue then drag or roll it, then broadcast the clover on top of that. You can;t broadcast clover and fescue together because the fescue won;t spread as far as the clover. If it's not a prepared field it's far better to drill the fescue. I've never gotten as good of a stand of clover with drilling it as I have broadcasting.

dun":1kus92ur said:
Unless it's totally bare ground you won;t get much of a stand of fescue with just broadcasting. Bare tilled ground broadcast the fescue then drag or roll it, then broadcast the clover on top of that. You can;t broadcast clover and fescue together because the fescue won;t spread as far as the clover. If it's not a prepared field it's far better to drill the fescue. I've never gotten as good of a stand of clover with drilling it as I have broadcasting.

None of it's bare except maybe where we've fed hay. I'm thinking just seed clover now and Fescue in the fall or next spring?

tncattle":qu5umajw said:
dun":qu5umajw said:

None of it's bare except maybe where we've fed hay. I'm thinking just seed clover now and Fescue in the fall or next spring?
Works for me! Just remember that if you broadcast fescue you'll need to put down a lot of it, more then if you drilled it.

If your seeding where the cows are running . The ground may be torn up good enough from foot traffic top get a stand . That what I,m planning to do . The sign to sew is the 3rd and 4th of march here . Good luck with the seeding .