Fertilzer value of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":122cftt5 said:
Dave":122cftt5 said:
Novatech,
I think you were correct in telling tmenzel that it didn't sound like he had a problem. But if you think that the feedlots are the only ones that need to worry about manure, you may be in for a rude awakening. Everyone better make an effort to keep manure out of the creeks because enforcement of the clean water act is coming and believe me it is not fun when it lands on your front door.

Dave
Who is inforceing this? How? What are their requirements, rules? Where can I find the law governing this?
the EPA enforces the rules.when we milked cows.we had to deal with them every year.they would come out once a year.an make sure the manure wasnt being pumped close to ditches or branchs or pools.but having 400acs we didnt have to worry about that.if someone reports you.the EPA will come out an inspect your place.if they find violations.they will fine you.or give you so long to fix the problem.

bigbull338":1hkan371 said:
novatech":1hkan371 said:
Dave":1hkan371 said:
Novatech,
I think you were correct in telling tmenzel that it didn't sound like he had a problem. But if you think that the feedlots are the only ones that need to worry about manure, you may be in for a rude awakening. Everyone better make an effort to keep manure out of the creeks because enforcement of the clean water act is coming and believe me it is not fun when it lands on your front door.

Dave
Who is inforceing this? How? What are their requirements, rules? Where can I find the law governing this?
the EPA enforces the rules.when we milked cows.we had to deal with them every year.they would come out once a year.an make sure the manure wasnt being pumped close to ditches or branchs or pools.but having 400acs we didnt have to worry about that.if someone reports you.the EPA will come out an inspect your place.if they find violations.they will fine you.or give you so long to fix the problem.
It sounds like you are talking about concentrations of manure, not common pasture with maybe 1 cow per three acres, or a cow pie every 30 yds. I could understand a dairy. They do enforce these laws on them as well as chicken farms and hog operations. But again we are talking about heavy concentrations not common pasture. What would we have to do, tie a bag on their a-- or maybe use a pooper scoop and follow them around? I think even the EPA has a little more since than that.

The law is the clean water act. It is a federal law. It has been on the books since the early 70's. EPA enforces it but in lots of states they have given authority to a state agency. In the law the allowable discharge from agriculture is zero. Certainly every dairy, feedlot, large chicken and hog farm gets checked and is some cases very regularly. But I know of small back yarders getting run through the mill too. I mean as small as 3 head of beef. It is a matter of having animals that hang out in a creek or having runoff to a creek and have some reason that the enforcing people test the water quality of that creek. If the fecal bacteria come up high it is easy to trace it back up stream to the source.

Dave":19cgd6q1 said:
The law is the clean water act. It is a federal law. It has been on the books since the early 70's. EPA enforces it but in lots of states they have given authority to a state agency. In the law the allowable discharge from agriculture is zero. Certainly every dairy, feedlot, large chicken and hog farm gets checked and is some cases very regularly. But I know of small back yarders getting run through the mill too. I mean as small as 3 head of beef. It is a matter of having animals that hang out in a creek or having runoff to a creek and have some reason that the enforcing people test the water quality of that creek. If the fecal bacteria come up high it is easy to trace it back up stream to the source.

I am not going to look up the law on this. But I can tell you this, if my cow can,t get to the creek they don,t get water. If the EPA wants to make a stink they had better do DNA tests to prove it was my cow, as all my neighbors do the same and the runoff from neighbors above also come to the same creek. If they did this they would put a very high percentage of cattle people out of business. Most run off rain water eventually ends up in a ditch, creek, stream, river, lake, or ocean.

On another thread Fertlizing Grazing Pastures They talk about applying fert without soil tests. More ecological damage is done by over fertilizeing than a normal amount of cow patties along any creek or pasture.

novatech":2rmxnyx5 said:
Dave":2rmxnyx5 said:

I am not going to look up the law on this. But I can tell you this, if my cow can,t get to the creek they don,t get water. If the EPA wants to make a stink they had better do DNA tests to prove it was my cow, as all my neighbors do the same and the runoff from neighbors above also come to the same creek. If they did this they would put a very high percentage of cattle people out of business. Most run off rain water eventually ends up in a ditch, creek, stream, river, lake, or ocean.

I'd advise looking up the Department of Natural Resources for your state and see what kind of laws govern grazing, spreading manure, and feedlots. DNR usually has jurisdiction of these things, and the authority to enforce the laws.
Do a good job of managing your cattle and property and make friends with your local DNR folks. They're getting overrun by too many people who don't have a clue about cattle, they need to be educated by someone who does know about cattle.