Fertilizing

Help Support CattleToday:

bchilders

Reaction score
What do most of you do as far as fertilizing grazing field? Every year ? How about hay fields? I know it will differ based on where you live and other factors...Just trying to get an idea.

Alfalfa field is fertilized every year, grazing pastures are never fertilized except by the cows.

I fertilize my pastures with 200# acre of 12,12,12 in late spring.
And if conditions are right.I'll put down another 100# in the fall.
My top soil is pretty thin. But I'm working on that.

bchilders":ck5m15y3 said:
What do most of you do as far as fertilizing grazing field? Every year ? How about hay fields? I know it will differ based on where you live and other factors...Just trying to get an idea.
First off, to see what requirements you'll need, have a soil test done.For instance, this year we put down 300lbs. of Ammonia Nitrate per Acre, on Pastures and Hay Fields.

Usually if we fertilize we only fertilize the field we want to graze 1st. If we fertilize everything, we can not keep up with the growth. :lol:

frenchie":2b8rzc37 said:
Usually if we fertilize we only fertilize the field we want to graze 1st. If we fertilize everything, we can not keep up with the growth. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Do you have room for some of my cows at your "summer camp"?

For my coastal hay meadows I apply 400 lbs of 23-7-14 before the first cutting and after each cutting. Usually 3 applications per year.
For coastal pastures, 300 lbs/A of 23-7-14.
For native pastures usually 200 lbs of 23-7-14.

Improved grasses respond better to fertilizer.

I am paying about $330 ton this year.

cfpinz":2a0hiywp said:
frenchie":2a0hiywp said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Do you have room for some of my cows at your "summer camp"?

Sure why not :lol: But in all seriousness. I,m pretty sure that if we were to pour the fertiliser on we could likely run 700 pairs I,m just too cheap to have that kind of fertilizer bill hanging over my head

[/quote] I agree skyeagle. There is no way to know exactly what you need without doing a soil test. You may not even need Nitrogen you never know so then you wouldn't need the same percentage of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. Not to mention there are other minerals (not as important) which might need to be added. It makes no sense spending money on a fertilizer if you won't get the maximum results like if it was exactly what the soil needed.

Latest posts