Fertilizing with notill?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
I am going to be planting some oats, and later millet with a notill drill. I am trying to figure out how & when to put on the fertilizer. What works for you?

If the drill you're going to use has a fertilizer box, I would put it on at the same time I drilled the seed. Less fuel to get the job done.

We have always just spread the fertilizer before planting. The no-till coulters on the drill work it in a little and the rest of the fertilizer just waits for a rain. This has worked for us.

kickinbull":czhkjcx4 said:
I am going to be planting some oats, and later millet with a notill drill. I am trying to figure out how & when to put on the fertilizer. What works for you?

I'd broadcast it with the spreader from the fertilizer plant. Doesn't take too much time this way, and surely not that much fuel, can drive it with your truck or tractor. We do it this way all the time-easiest by far.

GMN

novatech":2byv4yyw said:
Fertilizer in a no-til sounds like a good way to shorten the life of the machine. Rust will eat it up.

That's why they invented water and hoses. Rinsing/washing it out afterwards and lubricating it and it will last a lifetime

novatech":310m3170 said:
Fertilizer in a no-til sounds like a good way to shorten the life of the machine. Rust will eat it up.
I have no idea how much no-till goes on in other areas of the country but around here it is becoming very popular. Everyone that I know using it puts all their fertilizer down with the drill. In my opinion putting the fertilizer down with the drill is the only way to go. I haven't seen broadcast fertilization match the yield that would come from ground where the fertilizer was placed near the seed. I'm not sure what kind of fertilizer is being used but if there's phosphorus involved it needs to be placed where it can be accessed by the roots. Spreading a phosphorus fertilizer is next to worthless. Phosphorus is very immobile. You can get all kinds of rain and it will move very little. On the other hand, something like nitrogen will move very well in the soil and a good rain will take broadcast fertilizer down readily. My concern would be a timely rain so as to eliminate volatization of the nitrogen to the atmosphere. Just a couple things to think about.

novaman":zvbgsysr said:
novatech":zvbgsysr said:
I have no idea how much no-till goes on in other areas of the country but around here it is becoming very popular. Everyone that I know using it puts all their fertilizer down with the drill. In my opinion putting the fertilizer down with the drill is the only way to go. I haven't seen broadcast fertilization match the yield that would come from ground where the fertilizer was placed near the seed. I'm not sure what kind of fertilizer is being used but if there's phosphorus involved it needs to be placed where it can be accessed by the roots. Spreading a phosphorus fertilizer is next to worthless. Phosphorus is very immobile. You can get all kinds of rain and it will move very little. On the other hand, something like nitrogen will move very well in the soil and a good rain will take broadcast fertilizer down readily. My concern would be a timely rain so as to eliminate volatization of the nitrogen to the atmosphere. Just a couple things to think about.
I cannot argue with that. You are correct. My point of view is that at the price of a no-til I would let someone else put the fert in the ground. I don't think Phos is highly corrosive. The N on the other hand will eat up the metal quick. If you are going to use the no-til for fert. I would advise a very good cleaning after use. Followed by spraying down with diesel.

I work for a soil and water conservation district.

We have two no till drills for rental. Each drill has two big seed boxes and a small legume box.

People all the time want to put fertilizer in the seed boxes.

I tell em that is fine but if you corrode my drill with your fertilizer then it will soon be your drill.

Most elect to have the fertilizer company spread the fertilizer.

Phosphorous is realtively immobile. However it is immobile because it attaches readily to soil particles. It does not make too much difference if the phosphorous is touching the roots. The plant has the ability to bind with the soil and take up phosphorous. Phosphorous levels in the soil just have to be adequate. Actually an early fall broadcast is the best time to apply phosphorous and potash to hay or pasture land. Nitrogen should be split applied for use when the crop needs it. for high production hay I recommend a spring broadcast and a cutting topdress of nitrogen after each cutting.

Nitrogen placed too close to tender roots will actually burn them. the rule in corn sidedress is normally 2X2 nitrogen two inches from the row and two inches deep and applied when the plant is 12 to 18 inches tall. Preplanting fertilizer for corn is either braodcast dry or banded liquid in our country but for corn you sure don't want to put down too much early.

A drill that is not set up with seperate openers for the fertilizer may actually put the fertilizer too close to the seed and damage the seedlings.

Fuel and fertilizer prices in our country have many folks taking a second look at biosolids.

I must be the real oddball, no surtpises there. I hose out the drill, mine or the districts even after running seed through it. Seems like that seed dust collects in odd spots and eventually causes them to rust.

Latest posts