Fertilizing Hay/Pasture Land and Winter Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I have some pasture land that I closed off to cut for hay. Had hoped for two cuttings, but because of the wettest summer ever and some other things, we got it rolled today. In the spring I put 150lb of nitrogen per acre on it and that really helped our hay. I plan to turn the cows back on this pasture this winter I'm thinking bout fertilizing it the first of next week.

My question: without a soil test, what would you suggest putting on it? There is some Bermuda grass but mostly it is fescue.

Also, for several years I have over seeded part of our pasture land for winter grazing. I sow winter rye and have good results, but the last two years the winter rye has not done well. Any suggestions on winter grazing? Note: I've never drilled winter grass, just broadcast it and had good results.

You folks are smarter than me, so feel free to share your ideas!

Thanks

My question would be why not soil test? They are cheap or even free in some states and they can save you a fortune in fertilizer you don't need. Without a test if it is primarily fescue I would put @ 50# of nitrogen on it and stockpile. 150# of nitrogen in a single application is overkill and a lot probably did not get used. Generally you would put between 50-70# on at a time. Also overseeing winter grazing in a fescue pasture seems counterproductive to me. Stockpile it let them graze it down. Just my $.02 and it may be overpriced.

My question would be why not soil test? They are cheap or even free in some states and they can save you a fortune in fertilizer you don't need. Without a test if it is primarily fescue I would put @ 50# of nitrogen on it and stockpile. 150# of nitrogen in a single application is overkill and a lot probably did not get used. Generally you would put between 50-70# on at a time. Also overseeing winter grazing in a fescue pasture seems counterproductive to me. Stockpile it let them graze it down. Just my $.02 and it may be overpriced.
Totally agree. Without a soil test you have no clue of what's needed. When you say 150lb per acre I'm assuming you are referring to 150lb of 34-0-0 and if so that's 51lb of actual nitrogen. If soil tests show everything else is good, fescue will stockpile and make great winter grazing. I spread 125 lb per acre of 46-0-0 Urea last weekend and will begin strip grazing December 20th.

I broadcast annual ryegrass on half our farm 2 weeks ago. I think I've got the ground in good enough shape that it will succeed without fertilize. But will likely regret that decision.

I am a big fan of annual ryegrass. Seems to come up well. I spread it, then bush hogging, then drag if I feel it's necessary.

Kenny Thomas is the fall stockpile wizard. He knows his stuff.

P and K do well when applied in Fall I hear. A bump of N couldn't hurt anything either.

I have considered the ryegrass but decided my fescue is so thick I didn't think the ryegrass could survive and grow. What's your thought.
Good question. I say you're correct. Definitely wouldn't do much this Fall. But then again, mine won't either if it doesn't rain.

I do think it would come up over winter or into the spring if the fescue gets down to 3 or 4 inches.

It's always a gamble, isn't it...

On fescue, anything over 45 lbs/ac, if needed, will not be noticeable. There is a study that in adequately fertile soil or healthy soil (however you like to think) that N applications are a waste for fall stockpiling. That's what we see here: total stockpile without additional N.

My tests have not shown that with fescue. The protein will be 2+% higher and volume 3+ times more. I have covered strips in fields and the Ag extension agent took the samples so it would be a fair comparison.

Hay and urea are both high priced here - - but some fertilization of hay, or fertilization of stockpile to replace hay, can be justified by a soil test. Fertilization of summer pasture is a different deal. Some common grass swards here do not respond well to NPK, so hopefully you have too much grass in the summer by stocking correctly.

My GUESS is 150# of N per acre is too much. Often renting pasture, minimizing hay production, and fertilizing improved stands to extend the grazing season is your most economic combo.

Latest posts