Fertilizing for next year

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I'm putting out chicken litter and an organic mix ( I really don't know the blend on the organic but it's mollass based) on my hay meadows for next year.
I have 26 acres in hay meadows that I made 260 rolls off of this year. It should have been over 300 if the first cut didn't get wet.
I have to get litter when I can.
With the cost of fertilizer steadily going up I figured I better put it on.
My land does call for phosphorus.
I'll go with a commercial fertilizer in the spring usually calling for a higher nitrogen blend if I can get litter in the fall.
Any thoughts?

I assume this is on bermuda grass. If so , remember that litter is short on potassium. Most litter is a 2-1-1 N-P-K ratio. Bermuda uses nutrients in a 4-1 3 ratio. 2 tons per acre (4 - 1000 lb bales) pulls 100-40-85 out of the ground.

You will need to add some nitrogen next spring to jump start as litter is very slow to release. 50 lbs. of actual Nitrogen . You will need to add N & K for each additional cutting.

Here is a 3 year study on using conventional dry fertilizer, broiler litter, broiler litter plus N and liquid fertilizer. It was done over 3 years to take into consideration of rainfall effects. Note that adding 50 lbs of N to broiler litter got you more bang for your buck.

I've been using litter for years (I was in the chicken business) and it works good.
I use to sell it to my neighbors for clean out cost.
It would cost them 10 to $12/ton spread. They got a heck of a deal.
One of my neighbors still owes me money.

Latest posts