Fertilizing for next year

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I’m putting out chicken litter and an organic mix ( I really don’t know the blend on the organic but it’s mollass based) on my hay meadows for next year.
I have 26 acres in hay meadows that I made 260 rolls off of this year. It should have been over 300 if the first cut didn’t get wet.
I have to get litter when I can.
With the cost of fertilizer steadily going up I figured I better put it on.
My land does call for phosphorus.
I’ll go with a commercial fertilizer in the spring usually calling for a higher nitrogen blend if I can get litter in the fall.
Any thoughts?

BC

Reaction score
I assume this is on bermuda grass. If so , remember that litter is short on potassium. Most litter is a 2-1-1 N-P-K ratio. Bermuda uses nutrients in a 4-1 3 ratio. 2 tons per acre (4 - 1000 lb bales) pulls 100-40-85 out of the ground.

BC

Reaction score
You will need to add some nitrogen next spring to jump start as litter is very slow to release. 50 lbs. of actual Nitrogen . You will need to add N & K for each additional cutting.

BC

Reaction score
Here is a 3 year study on using conventional dry fertilizer, broiler litter, broiler litter plus N and liquid fertilizer. It was done over 3 years to take into consideration of rainfall effects. Note that adding 50 lbs of N to broiler litter got you more bang for your buck.

OP
tex452

tex452

Reaction score
I’ve been using litter for years (I was in the chicken business) and it works good.
I use to sell it to my neighbors for clean out cost.
It would cost them 10 to $12/ton spread. They got a heck of a deal.
One of my neighbors still owes me money.

Latest posts