Fertilizing after planting?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok so I rented a notill drill last week and put in some straight alfalfa, cereal rye and timothy in separate fields. We got some rain afterwards and with my work schedule I didnt have time to put down the fertilizer. Needless to say it all germinated and now I dont want ride on it. How long should I wait to put out P and K. I would think riding on it now would kill the newly sprouted plants. Thanks Mike.

P&K needs to be put down before planting. I have read that it only moves through the soil at about 1 inch a year, depending on the type of soil you have.
Once the grass gets to the 4 leaf stage it should be OK. I cannot tell you about the alfalfa.

The plan was to get it down before planting. I rent the planter and it just worked out between weather and work that I couldnt get it down as planned.

novatech":11jft5dz said:
P&K needs to be put down before planting. I have read that it only moves through the soil at about 1 inch a year, depending on the type of soil you have.
Once the grass gets to the 4 leaf stage it should be OK. I cannot tell you about the alfalfa.

I agree 100%. It would be a crap shoot anyway since their is no mention of a previous soil test but, it wouldn't hurt to get it out there if there was a way to do it without tearing up up the crop. Foliar?

Latest posts