Fertilizing a bass pond

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Why is fertilizer good for growing fish in a lake but when it washes off a farm into a river its pollution?

never heard of fertilizing your fish pond. phosphorus causes excessive algae growth in ponds,rivers,lakes. Nitrogen would increase nitrate levels and for people relying on surface water for drinking water that be a concern?

Common prsctice to fertilize fishing lakes around my part of the world. The algae bloom creates food that works its way up the food chain to the fish. There are many companies that specialize in making fertilizer just for lakes.

I've been told throwing a little fertilizer in a pond promotes algae growth, that promotes cover and insects and stuff that fish like to eat. Never tried it. I get in too much trouble just trying to fertilize my land.

I hear a little straight N keeps that green film algea from covering the whole surface which can lower the disolved oxygen level for the fish. Ask a dairy farmer around Stephenville what happens when Potassium get down stream.

Scotty

Check with Dunns Fish Farm. I think they are in Buffalo, TX.
Great source for all kinds of pond related products including fish. Their website is great and they are extremely helpful on the phone as well.