fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2":2ulfogm1 said:
Anybody using watered down manure? how's it working?

Hubam clover is what I am using. I over planted a hay field last year and did not fertilize that one field. I kept all hay from it for myself. It actually produced more hay than fields that were fertilized with granular. Much cheaper overall and the cow received a lot of winter browsing over that clover.

Turner Seed had Hubam for $2 a lb PLS. They are sold out now. Good thing I got my seed early.

A cople of times a year they pump the parlor lagoon at the dairy and shoot it on a couple of pastures with big , I mean really BIG0 sprinkler heads. They don;t fertilize those fields but the K is getting rediulously high on them.

dun":1hfo8mny said:
A cople of times a year they pump the parlor lagoon at the dairy and shoot it on a couple of pastures with big , I mean really BIG0 sprinkler heads. They don;t fertilize those fields but the K is getting rediulously high on them.

K or P? Chicken litter usually raises the Phosphorus content.

MikeC":1axy5j9v said:
dun":1axy5j9v said:

Just double checked and it's K. Most dairys have the problem where they spread manure.

dun":3ueivta4 said:
MikeC":3ueivta4 said:
dun":3ueivta4 said:

Just double checked and it's K. Most dairys have the problem where they spread manure.

Didn't know that. An overabundance of K should not be a big problem because it's easily leached from the soil as opposed to P.

May depend on the soil type for even that though.

MikeC":34qjq7ad said:
dun":34qjq7ad said:
MikeC":34qjq7ad said:
dun":34qjq7ad said:

Didn't know that. An overabundance of K should not be a big problem because it's easily leached from the soil as opposed to P.

with duns area setting on top of lime stone i wonder how much leaching it can do. before it does build up

ALACOWMAN":ixyyxtzm said:
MikeC":ixyyxtzm said:
dun":ixyyxtzm said:
MikeC":ixyyxtzm said:
dun":ixyyxtzm said:

with duns area setting on top of lime stone i wonder how much leaching it can do. before it does build up

I thought about that. I do know that P takes forever to leach out. I know some places that got a buildup of P from years of chicken litter and can't even grow a cedar tree. :shock:

Our fields that are far enough from the parlor that they didn;t get any manure spread on them run in the 400 lbs/acre range. The ones close to the parlor run in the 1100 lbs/acre range. In 5 years they've gone down about 1%. The P is classified as high to very high the K is classifed as extreme.

dun":386q8qyu said:
Our fields that are far enough from the parlor that they didn;t get any manure spread on them run in the 400 lbs/acre range. The ones close to the parlor run in the 1100 lbs/acre range. In 5 years they've gone down about 1%. The P is classified as high to very high the K is classifed as extreme.
what can you seed in these feilds to eat-up some of the P and K ,but don't hurt production or quality of the forage?

rouxshortorn":1mvyg976 said:
dun":1mvyg976 said:
what can you seed in these feilds to eat-up some of the P and K ,but don't hurt production or quality of the forage?

I have no idea, I just keep reseeding and cutting OG for hay and drilling WW in the fall. One field has a great stand of fescue and we pasture it since you can;t get into it with anything much bigger then a Mule.
I don;t know if it's reduced the P&K but the crabgrass went wild in those fields this year.

Latest posts