Fertilizer Value of fed hay

Help Support CattleToday:

If the buyers want black give them black to get the higher selling price. Depending on your cow herd you can use a black Angus or a black Simmental bull to bring in the continental influence and add some lbs. Selling price is where you can make or lose money for the year, get the most $/hd for the same inputs or make sure the input costs will pay a return at selling time.
Exactly.

I'll add 2 cents more.... You sell pounds but you can also sell quality.
Buyers can spot quality and will usually pay a little more for quality calves or yearlings. I consider improvements to the quality of your bull and/or cow herd to be good investments that pays out in future dividends of higher selling prices of calves. As mentioned in previous posts, for each weight class there is a range of prices, I would always rather be on the upper end of the range rather than the lower end.

Your neighbor asks you to help him with a job in return for.a calf. The job is more than you bargained for so you don't owe him any favors. You sort out 3 steer calves that are all the same color, quality and remarkably similar. He's got a scale there and it's easy enough to run each one over. First calf goes over at 750lbs, 2nd at 650lbs and last one weighs 550lbs. You pick the little one where you are?

If we sorted three I'll take all three.

If you can sell 5000 pounds for 1.50 or 1.35 what would you do? All expenses being relatively equal.

Another thing I have decided is even though I can graze more my weaning weights have went down with rotational grazing. Guess I'm making the cows eat all the grass not just the best.

My weights went down as well. Mature cow size has shrunk too after selecting the well doing heifers to keep.

Hear you on the low milk thing too.

Since we are getting away from the CC thing. I am going to try a white bull to put on the few breeders I've kept around. See what that does for weights. I do have to say the black nosed grays are my favorite. Yellows and chocolates being tied for 2nd ace.

I've often wondered if that was the case in highly intensive grazing. Maybe a creep panel that allows the calves to graze ahead could be a partial solution?
I've been leaving the wire high in a spot for this purpose. Let the calves graze ahead of everyone. It has seemed to have helped this year. Noticeable for sure.

I'm just reporting what my local market does. The buyers take advantage of much weight over 600 in this area. Doesn't make sense to me but I don't set prices.
It's nice though when you're on the buying side of things. But sure makes me feel bad. Feel like I've just stole from someone.

Latest posts