Fertilizer strategies for this year

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm hearing it's going to go even higher. Hope my ears are wrong.

I am going to skip fertilizing our hay ground all together. Plan to mow a little taller than usual this year.

Legume seed will be a good choice.

Might be a good year to focus on getting your ph levels in range.

We lose our hay lease this coming year, so I'm gonna mine it. Will be a subdivision soon I imagine.

I'm hearing it's going to go even higher. Hope my ears are wrong.

I am going to skip fertilizing our hay ground all together. Plan to mow a little taller than usual this year.

Legume seed will be a good choice.

Might be a good year to focus on getting your ph levels in range.

We lose our hay lease this coming year, so I'm gonna mine it. Will be a subdivision soon I imagine.
Can't say I blame you. I was finally making progress on some ground that had been mined out and hate to lose footing but just cant justify the expense especially as it is not long term lease property.

I cant make it pencil really anywhere but I can break even on hay I sell by passing on costs. It is easier to justify in my mind a tight margin or "loss" on my ground where i get to keep it and the cows do the work so I save money in harvesting cost.

Can't say I blame you. I was finally making progress on some ground that had been mined out and hate to lose footing but just cant justify the expense especially as it is not long term lease property.

I cant make it pencil really anywhere but I can break even on hay I sell by passing on costs. It is easier to justify in my mind a tight margin or "loss" on my ground where i get to keep it and the cows do the work so I save money in harvesting cost.
I feel the same.

That $1000+ per ton will buy plenty of hay in my area. Even if they go up 5 or 10 per bale.

I hate making hay anyways.

Hay making is a bit odd - - in that both growth and harvest are very weather dependent, and harvest is driven by repetitive per acre machine costs. So you see a lot of variation in approaches here:

- - low input hay bined one cutting grass system. Could work if rent is low and you are a good mechanic, but production is so low that... Usually a hobby operation
- - high input disc bined three or four cutting alfalfa mix system. Could work if you have enough production to cover the overhead. Usually a dairy focused operation.
- - middle ground is haying some of the spring flush and then grazing. Should work if you have a custom operator.

Right now it looks like it could be pushing $200 an acre to fertilize. A similar blend last year was $100 an acre. With production costs figuring an average yield I will have@ $55 a roll in it in the field. Will have to do some thinking on that.

A separate but related question is at what level do you find you would have been as well off with nothing? Example: say normal rate is 60-40-60 is a 30-20-30 mix even worth applying?
I think you have to look at your yield both ways. If you're haying the field anyway and selling part of your hay you need to have enough yield increase to pay for the fertilizer. I think as soon as your at break even you win. Even if you can't get a premium for the fertilized hay . The hay you keep is better and you took care of your grass. And of course if you figure at normal hay prices and hay goes up it gets even better.

When

When you pass on the cost you need to add your margins to that. Otherwise your your financing the risk with no chance of reward

We had a pretty good hay year. Its 80 deg and green down here still with no signs of any significant cooling in the coming weeks.

I'm going to put the hay fields in the grazing rotation next year and not worry about cutting hay. I might disk a few also and get them in shape if the moisture is good.

Our usage is so low that if hay prices go up due to fertilizer next year I'll probably let some go and take the money.

Fertilizer prices as of 1 week ago N $1375 P $1330 K $1150 S $860 Canuck bucks.

It will depend on what water is available and cost of fuel. If we only get 60-70 days irrigation like last year, all the fertilizer in the world won't help and in most cases do more harm then good.
Will probably continue to purchase what hay we need . As well as take another long hard look at stocking rate.
Will probably continue to hold less cows through winter.

That will have an increased value as well, that is if you can get it. If it is anything like over here they soon cotton onto the fact people are chasing it and suddenly it becomes a valuable commodity.

Ken
They are already putting out ads for it..

Latest posts