fertilizer / seeder

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I need a new seed broadcaster to put out winter seed. I have never used one of the cone shaped broadcasters. Are they adjustable enough for all types of seeds? While winter rye is a large seed, clover is quite small. I plan on putting out cereal rye, oats and then winter rye.I previously used a pull behind attached to my 4wheeler but they seem to be junk. So my dilemma is should i buy a new one for my tractor or is one that fits my 4 wheeler that attaches to the back rack just as good. thanks for your time to reply. papa

Unless you are only doing a 1/4 acre or so, get one for the tractor. The good quality one are fine for clover and up to the size of sunflower seeds. Make sure it has really fine adjustment possibilities and usually they will have a chard for what size seed for what size opening. If it doesn;t go down as fine as clover or timothy I'ld keep looking

Something else that crossed my mind was what to do when you're finished with it. Seed or fertilizer through it doesn;t matter. Wash it out well with water, when it's dry hit all movable parts with some deisel or WD40. It's surprising how hydroscopic the dust from seeding is.
Also, depending on how the opening and closing of the feed gate works, figure out a way to turn it off and on, (off is more important) from the tractor seat. If you have to climb off and RUN back to the unit to turn it off you would be shocked at how much clover seed can run out on the ground even when the gate is barely open. If you can figure out a way to put a shield on the front of it so that the seed/fertilizer doesn;t get flung on your backside it's well worth the effort.

I've been using the larger cone shaped fan spreader 4 ten yrs, works great for even brome & timothy. I mix 2 parts sand to 3 parts grass seed & 3 parts oat seed. This sand carries the grass seed just 'bout as far as the oats :hat:

Rancher":38rnl8id said:
I've been using the larger cone shaped fan spreader 4 ten yrs, works great for even brome & timothy. I mix 2 parts sand to 3 parts grass seed & 3 parts oat seed. This sand carries the grass seed just 'bout as far as the oats :hat:
My experience with the sand is that the sand spreads further out than the lite seed. I quess it would work on some seeds.

Latest posts