fertilizer question

Help Support CattleToday:

kgchis

Reaction score
I am in the drought in NE Mississippi. We moved all but 3 cows off our main pasture Sunday.

We put nitrogen on all of our pastures in May. Our hope is that our main pasture will see a little rain and get some growth back before the cows are moved back in August.

Are there any good fertilizers I can put out now to get good growth while the land is vacant? We don't have any particular grass planted. We just use native grass which has worked out well this year since it seems to be doing better under the drought conditions.

I am also in a bad drought and put out fertelizer in May. I need some grouth but without any rain I don't plan to put out any more untill we get some good rain and the ground gets wet deep and some more rain on the way.
If you put out N now and get a tenth of rain it will just burn up the grass.
I am going to waite.

kgchis":260ya68r said:
I am in the drought in NE Mississippi. We moved all but 3 cows off our main pasture Sunday.

We put nitrogen on all of our pastures in May. Our hope is that our main pasture will see a little rain and get some growth back before the cows are moved back in August.

Are there any good fertilizers I can put out now to get good growth while the land is vacant? We don't have any particular grass planted. We just use native grass which has worked out well this year since it seems to be doing better under the drought conditions.
Sounds like you might need to get some good foliar absorption fertilizer. I use a 30-10-10 product which mixes with water, applied with my spray rig. I do 10 acres at a time with 300 gallons of water, 25 lbs. of fertilizer. I mix the pesticides and herbicides into the same application, along with a surfactant. One pass fertilizes, kills grasshoppers and kills weeds. This needs to be done early morning or late evening to keep from burning the grass. The fertilizer is applied in two applications 2 weeks apart. No rain required. Gets results if there's four inches of leaf growth and a little moisture in the ground. It looks like the blue miracle grow stuff. $49.00 / ac. for the fertilizer part. :D

Latest posts