Fertilizer Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't believe any reasonable level of success will be had no tilling into live sod. Glyphosate is an indispensable step in the no till so seeding process. It has been proven that glyphosate used in a forage rejuvenation situation does no long term damage to soil health. Glyphosate as used by many row crop farmers where it is applied several times per season every year is a different topic I think.
We have had good luck seeding a winter mix into living coastal sod in the fall. Usually plant something like rye,oats, peas, vetch and turnips. We no till it in about 4-6 weeks before the coastal is froze out.
We also had a little bit of SS and cow pea left in the drill and ran it through the coastal in the spring. The SS didn't do to well competing with the coastal but the ace cow peas did pretty good. May plant some straight cow peas into some weaker coastal spots this coming spring.

We have had good luck seeding a winter mix into living coastal sod in the fall. Usually plant something like rye,oats, peas, vetch and turnips. We no till it in about 4-6 weeks before the coastal is froze out.
We also had a little bit of SS and cow pea left in the drill and ran it through the coastal in the spring. The SS didn't do to well competing with the coastal but the ace cow peas did pretty good. May plant some straight cow peas into some weaker coastal spots this coming spring.
I always forget that there are places that can grow things year around and take advantage of dormant seasonal crops.

I always forget that there are places that can grow things year around and take advantage of dormant seasonal crops.
Certainly different climate to what you post about.
It may not be growing this week. We've got about an inch of sleet on the ground and below freezing temps for a few more days. Not something we see here every year.
We don't see much growth in december and january but by mid february the winter crops will take off.
Our true dormant season is july and august when it's over 100 and doesn't rain for 8 weeks.

I don't believe any reasonable level of success will be had no tilling into live sod. Glyphosate is an indispensable step in the no till so seeding process. It has been proven that glyphosate used in a forage rejuvenation situation does no long term damage to soil health. Glyphosate as used by many row crop farmers where it is applied several times per season every year is a different topic I think.
There are folks using animals to overgraze the heck out of ground, then no til. Then graze again just before emergence. With some success.

That's how I did my ryegrass this last fall. Seems to have worked I think.

It is a whole other approach though. And an expensive approach to get down pat im sure.

We've not used chemicals on farm in quite a few years now. I'd like to keep jt that way.

Might could scalp w a disc mower if animals don't graze it down enough.

Thinking out loud here.

There are folks using animals to overgraze the heck out of ground, then no til. Then graze again just before emergence. With some success.

That's how I did my ryegrass this last fall. Seems to have worked I think.

It is a whole other approach though. And an expensive approach to get down pat im sure.

We've not used chemicals on farm in quite a few years now. I'd like to keep jt that way.

Might could scalp w a disc mower if animals don't graze it down enough.

Thinking out loud here.
It's the competition with the existing plants that is my biggest concern. The height of the old crop is managed easily enough. I suppose it might depend on what you are planting. No- tilling alfalfa into old live sod is a waste of time and money. For me the only reason to plant is to rejuvenate hay land that is no longer producing enough of the desired species. Often times quack grass has become a problem. So seeding without a burn down will not work.

I have been talking with organic gardeners who do things on scale about alternative fertilize options.

They've talked fermenting organic materials, compost teas, some other stuff too. There are other options out there. Just a matter of trying something new and scaling them up. Folks are having some success in doing this.

Found a very knowledgeable young man that just moved here from AZ. Going to get him to help me treat a 25 acre hay lease we have. See how it goes.

I think we need to start looking at biological fixes/corrections though. Animals need to be put back on hay/crop ground for their impact. Feed hay back onto the hayfields. Organic matter is everything I do believe.
For what it's worth. We spread the manure from my wife's hay recyclers...$15 a bale at least I get something out of that S*** 🙂

It's the competition with the existing plants that is my biggest concern. The height of the old crop is managed easily enough. I suppose it might depend on what you are planting. No- tilling alfalfa into old live sod is a waste of time and money. For me the only reason to plant is to rejuvenate hay land that is no longer producing enough of the desired species. Often times quack grass has become a problem. So seeding without a burn down will not work.
Absolutely. Must depend on your desired outcome and what you've got to begin with.

I might would disk a few times to prep ground. Really ain't worried about killing the existing. Just retarding it enough to let the drilled stuff get a foot hold. The more species that'll live together the better it should work in theory.

You know how theories go though.

I'm fortunate that I our stand is decent. Nothing out of control and no much that isn't desired.

I'm trying to stick to the natural method. Of course there are going to be trade off on efficiency. I just don't like chemicals. Most farmers in our valley die of cancer. And they love spraying.

For what it's worth. We spread the manure from my wife's hay recyclers...$15 a bale at least I get something out of that S*** 🙂
I'd love to find a source of manure. Chicken, cow, whatever.

Anyone in the east TN area with a lead on some. I'd be appreciated. Everyone I've spoken to has plans for what they've got.

I'd love to find a source of manure. Chicken, cow, whatever.

Anyone in the east TN area with a lead on some. I'd be appreciated. Everyone I've spoken to has plans for what they've got.
I've used both dry chicken and wet hog manure and both worked just fine. But the stench from the hog manure was intimidating for about three/four days afterward. It would probably be best to do it before a rain.

What are prices for chicken litter in your area. Costing roughly $38 a ton here. To do 12 acres @ 2 ton an acre just cost of litter is $912.00 not including any trucking or spreading.

Last edited:
What are prices for chicken litter in your area. Costing roughly $38 a ton here. To do 12 acres @ 2 ton an acre just cost of litter is $912.00 not including any trucking or spreading.
It's going to cost no matter what I suppose. May opt for none again.

Our lease is surrounded by 2 neighborhoods. They'd kill me if I used poo probably.

Latest posts