Fertilizer is on the ground

Help Support CattleToday:

JParrott

Reaction score
Got about half the place done today. Used a buggy and did it myself. Expecting rain for three or four days starting Wednesday night.

Price has went up $95 a ton since January. Probably all I'll do this spring. The other half was top dressed last fall so thinking I'll wait until then to see how prices are. Least that's out of the way.

Need one more good frost to get the clover seed on, four more cows to calve, and spring will be done until time to cut hay.

Overseeding. Trying out some Kenland red clover from Nixa Hardware.

Got about half the place done today. Used a buggy and did it myself. Expecting rain for three or four days starting Wednesday night.

Price has went up $95 a ton since January. Probably all I'll do this spring. The other half was top dressed last fall so thinking I'll wait until then to see how prices are. Least that's out of the way.

Need one more good frost to get the clover seed on, four more cows to calve, and spring will be done until time to cut hay.
Wow! I haven't priced any fertilizer yet this year. What did you put on?

Spread urea yesterday at around 510.00 a ton. Hybrid sudan Seed is 25to 50 percent higher . Glad I put down my p&k Last fall. Anything that got a good stand of volunteer ryegrass/ johnson grass is getting baled this year vs worked and planted.

Need to call and get delivered as paid in January. Another job on the bucket list.

Riddle me this - when oil was down to less than $20 per barrel for an extended period, I called about pricing on fertilizer. It wasn't nearly as low as I thought it would be, in fact it was just slightly lower than prior to the pandemic. I asked the co-op about that and was told that oil doesn't impact fertilizer price as much as one would think. Now, oil is chasing the $70 mark and fertilizer is going up. wth??

Riddle me this - when oil was down to less than $20 per barrel for an extended period, I called about pricing on fertilizer. It wasn't nearly as low as I thought it would be, in fact it was just slightly lower than prior to the pandemic. I asked the co-op about that and was told that oil doesn't impact fertilizer price as much as one would think. Now, oil is chasing the $70 mark and fertilizer is going up. wth??

Prices have been fairly low for years. The price of DAP hasn't been this high since 2011-2012. As to actually why, what I keep reading is that demand has remained strong over the past year and prices have been low helping feed that demand. Covid and the resulting global restrictions and production outages have depleted any reserves so supply is tight.

Wow! I haven't priced any fertilizer yet this year. What did you put on?
DAP and potash - don't have the papers in front of me for exact amounts. Not much need for a lot of N with the clover I have. When I priced in January it was $435 a ton. When I paid yesterday it was $530 a ton.

Prices have been fairly low for years. The price of DAP hasn't been this high since 2011-2012. As to actually why, what I keep reading is that demand has remained strong over the past year and prices have been low helping feed that demand. Covid and the resulting global restrictions and production outages have depleted any reserves so supply is tight.

DAP and potash - don't have the papers in front of me for exact amounts. Not much need for a lot of N with the clover I have. When I priced in January it was $435 a ton. When I paid yesterday it was $530 a ton.
I'll have to call around and check prices. I don't have any clover so my N needs will be greater.

I was once an engineer in a an ammonia and nitric acid facility. Ammonium Nitrate and Urea are made from these. The production cost is determined nearly entirely based on natural gas prices. BTW- down here in Texas yesterday I paid 490/ton for 24-6-12.

Glad my cows are putting on what fertilizer we will use.

Have a friend who has been using cover crops for several years now and following Gabe Brown. A few years back he got the neighbours tongues wagging when he cancelled a million dollar fertilizer order. I quizzed him some last fall.... the land they have not reached with their cover crops has not changed enough in grain yield to have paid the fertilizer bill. They farm 25000 acres and have 2000 mother cows and a 7500 head feedlot.

This will be the 3rd year of no fertilize and no hay cutting on our farm. . With intense management. Already have grass and clover 8 inches tall on average on fields that weren't beat up badly this winter. Think this year will be the proof in the pudding.

Still have to fertilize our rented hay ground. Spread only urea last year. It did great. The ground looks like it could use something more. But the woman is talking about maybe putting the place on the market. May be urea only again. Its about that time I reckon.

Fed lots of unrolled hay on our old hay ground on the farm. Its coming on so damn green and fast. Im blown away.

Latest posts