Fertilizer good or bad

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1qmjvwbd said:
CommercialCattleManTN":1qmjvwbd said:
Pretty fertile however as I said I had just top dressed it about a year ago. Cant recall how much I put on it but it was like 30 tons I think. So i just another 12 this time was skeert id overdo it. Good crop growin dirt. corn soybeans maters, etc.

YOU PUT 850 LBS OF AMMONIUM NITRATE TO THE ACRE?
I thought I smelled smoke tonite!! :lol2:

No i forgot to mention in there that my neighbor went in half as the farm I bought was originally 160 acres and I bought 70 of it so while I was doing mine he was like well Ill just do mine to. Which all he uses his side for is hay and stuff.

Sorry if what i said caused confusion. Crap its getting late and Im doing like 17 things at once. Hell as I said I couldnt remember I thought it was 30 last time on the whole 160 shebang. before the last cutting last week the fescue was knee high and im 6ft6.

CommercialCattleManTN":2cmldv7m said:
No i forgot to mention in there that my neighbor went in half as the farm I bought was originally 160 acres and I bought 70 of it so while I was doing mine he was like well Ill just do mine to. Which all he uses his side for is hay and stuff.

Sorry if what i said caused confusion. Crap its getting late and Im doing like 17 things at once. Hell as I said I couldnt remember I thought it was 30 last time on the whole 160 shebang. before the last cutting last week the fescue was knee high and im 6ft6.
Now I really smell something. It aint Smoke either.

Crowderfarms":glk3mmf3 said:
CommercialCattleManTN":glk3mmf3 said:
Now i really smell something its shut the hell up.
Whoa, Now we all kid around here from time to time.Better get that Epidermal Layer a thickening'

I believe if your boy is good to his word you just got put down on the list to get reported. If you need a character witness, you can call on me. May not do you any good but at least I've offered.

Wewild":20vmwnvl said:
Crowderfarms":20vmwnvl said:
CommercialCattleManTN":20vmwnvl said:
Whoa, Now we all kid around here from time to time.Better get that Epidermal Layer a thickening'

I believe if your boy is good to his word you just got put down on the list to get reported. If you need a character witness, you can call on me. May not do you any good but at least I've offered.
Wewild, better get up here quick! Might need some back up. I have'nt had a good whoopin in 20 years. I'm long overdue for one.

Crowderfarms":3082mibq said:
Wewild":3082mibq said:
Crowderfarms":3082mibq said:
CommercialCattleManTN":3082mibq said:

Wewild, better get up here quick! Might need some back up. I have'nt had a good whoopin in 20 years. I'm long overdue for one.

I'd probably need a head start since he's between you and me.

When do you spec he'll blow?

Crowderfarms":1udx0jkh said:
Wewild":1udx0jkh said:
Crowderfarms":1udx0jkh said:
CommercialCattleManTN":1udx0jkh said:

I'll come help you Crowder. I know he's 6'6" , but I'm 9'9".

MikeC":vjiewvxj said:
Crowderfarms":vjiewvxj said:
Wewild":vjiewvxj said:
Crowderfarms":vjiewvxj said:
CommercialCattleManTN":vjiewvxj said:

I'll come help you Crowder. I know he's 6'6" , but I'm 9'9".

Come by and pick me up as I am on your way right up 75. It might be entertaining.

MikeC":f7r4zmv1 said:
I got a feeling Crowder don't need any help. :roll:

I wasn't planning on helping. I was just wanting to watch.

Wewild":p2z0t8o2 said:
MikeC":p2z0t8o2 said:
I got a feeling Crowder don't need any help. :roll:

I wasn't planning on helping. I was just wanting to watch.
I've got this picture of him in my mind.Nah, bet it's really Pee Wee Herman. Us Tennesseans get along pretty good with each other. Once in a while though we'll get one that"Does not Play Well with Others" Sooner or later though they soften up. I just hope I dont get reported.

I keep seeing comments like farmers should put money back into the land and take care of the land. I agree but arent we hurting the land by concentrating large amounts of animals on it or by not letting the land take its natural course and grow up in trees? I am not some nature nut I am just wondering if the health of land should be measured by production alone.

Test, fertilize get rain have grass make hay or manure. It all counts and done carefully it pays. But one comment: Weeds brush and the like use about 30% more of the nutrients than grass :roll: Control them or you will waste a lot of fertilizer and rain.

Jay

All things in moderation. The use of fertilizer does increase production but once you start you have to keep it up.

Growing tobacco without heavy fertilzation is unprofitable.

Hay production also mines the soil and evetually you must fertilze, hopefully with the aid of a soil test.

I grow some vegetables commercially to sell at a local produce auction. I can plow sod and not fertilize the first year. Need some fertilizer the second year. Find it best to plow more sod for the third year.

I have pastures that have never been fertilized in 35 years or more that remain productive in improved grasses and clover. They do tend to have the benefit of brought in hay and grain fed to livestock.

I run a low input operation, no hired help and a minimum of purchased items. There are things you need to spend on but:
I have found striving for maximum production creates a self perpetuating cycle that is not as profitable for me or my farm in the long run.

I like cows that are fertile, milk good and do not eat me out of house and home. I have Red Polls now but over the years have had a lot of dairy influenced black and BWF cows. My cattle have a good reputation at our local stockyards even though I've never worried about epds all that much.

The farm is in better tilth and production than it was over 30 years ago when I bought it. Feeding cows on bare and thin ground has worked good for me, impoving the land without much use of fertilizer.

ANother thing to consider is that the use of chemical fertilizers makes the soil more acid.

dun

Crowderfarms":31dbbmk6 said:
CommercialCattleManTN":31dbbmk6 said:
He also need to watch he language or Mr Macon might expedite he a$$ :shock:

Latest posts