fertilizer for peppers and tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

lifeflower

Reaction score
fertilizer for peppers and tomatoes

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:36 pm
I know there are separate forums for the above but I would really like to have one post. I'm trying to figure out what fertile to use. I am getting mixed answers from my research and various garden centers (10 10 10, 5 10 10,
2.5 1 4, and many others that are way off the mark in terms of similarities)

Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeee :(

The fact you're getting different answers means there's not a one size fits all answer. A soil test would be a starting point. I have to say, this is a very odd first post, copy and paste no less.

I agree with M.Magis but there are a few things you can do to shore your bet with tomatoes wherever you are. First tip is to add Epson salt to the each hole you plant tomatoes in. About a tablespoon should do it. They need the magnesium. If possible, fertilize with some additional calcium nitrate. This helps with fruit formation, growth and prevention of blossom end rot. Personally, I use 5-10-15 to get them started good. Not too concerned about a nitrogen at first because I'm more concerned with the root growth.

Jogeephus":37rvarif said:
Snip
Not too concerned about a nitrogen at first because I'm more concerned with the root growth.

Jo~ You ever break all the lower branches of the tomato plant off and plant deep till all you have above ground is the very top leaves? You can get a really good root system that way.

slick4591":9ovolrh7 said:
Jogeephus":9ovolrh7 said:
Snip
Not too concerned about a nitrogen at first because I'm more concerned with the root growth.

Jo~ You ever break all the lower branches of the tomato plant off and plant deep till all you have above ground is the very top leaves? You can get a really good root system that way.

Yes I have. I bury my sets deep. Growing tomatoes here is tough. Such high humidity and so many diseases. The magnesium and the calcium really seems to help though.

I do, though I have no proof if it helps or not. In my mind it has to, but I know a lot of people that never touch them whose plants do just as well as mine, some better.

I can't say I sucker and can't say I don't. With tomatoes, I try anything but the only thing I do religiously is add the epson salt and try and get a lot of calcium to them.

Latest posts