Fertilizer down - heavy rain is here

Help Support CattleToday:

Emgen

Reaction score
Put fertilizer out on pastures Friday and rain is coming down now. We already have an inch and now appears that we might have up to 3 inches. Land is relatively flat - - any concerns with fertilizer being washed away at current rate of rain? Thanks

i dought it unless there is some pretty rolly ground. Thats great Speard it now a good rain to wash it in you couldnt ask for any better.

There is no use to be concerned about losing fertilize with the heavy rain. It will wash off or it won't and any concern will be useless.

a good rain is perfect for fertilizer. too much rain and it goes to the pond, get a bumper crop of algae and your wallet will hurt for a few days.

With more then 2 inches of rain in 24 hours you can loose 60% of the chemical nitrogen to run off and leaching into the ground past the roots.
Brad

I've called the fertilizer supplier on two occassions when there was a chance of rain, both times he advised me to wait. The first time our 30% chance of rain turned into 0% chance and the second time we had such a down pour it would have ended up in my stock tank. My question is...how do you know when is the right time and can you wait too long.

I suggest that you try a fertilizer that does not have chemical nitrogen in it..... that way there is not as big of a chance to waste your money.
Brad