Fertilizer cost.

Help Support CattleToday:

inbredredneck

Reaction score
What is 200 units of N and 130 units of P and 150 units of K costing per acre in your area?

inbredredneck":nn7czd99 said:
What is 200 units of N and 130 units of P and 150 units of K costing per acre in your area?
inbredredneck":nn7czd99 said:
Well 29 of you seem to be lucky enough to not need to buy any fertilizer.

?

Maybe just the weekend and everyone is glued to the TV worried about NYC being washed out to the ocean..... :)

To answer your question.......don't have a clue what it costs as you are right...sort of like the need to fix a roof leak. Only needs fixing when it rains, and you don't need fertilizer when the hole in the roof doesn't need fixing..... :D

I do not know either, but a lot more that it used to be. Lots on here seam to be very quiet when it comes to fertiliser use.

Buying up to a season ahead and storing, back hauling on trips to town, etc can all be ways to reduce the costs. However if you are buying N 10 months ahead and you hit a drought, flood etc then you have cash tied up.

Lots of people on here don't fertilize an I can't remember what I was paying this summer an don't feel like getting up an looking right now. I'll check later but that much is going to be a chunck.

I bought some 21-8-17 in late May or early June for $565 per ton. 300 lbs per acre cost $84.25 per acre. Had just over $28 per roll in fertilizer (made 3 bales to acre) cut in late June.

I buy sweepings for 100/ton. No way to know what the levels are but at the price I don't care

I sell fertilizer, so I'll try and give you a snapshot. Urea (46-0-0) is retailing at $575/MT, which works out to 55 - 60 cents/lb of actual N. MAP (11-52-0) is roughly $840/MT, and potash (0-0-60) is $675-700/MT. I don't like pricing in units, there is too much confusion that results.

I'd much rather spend $8/acre on clover seed than $60/acre on chemical nitrogen. The P and K are dependent on soil test values, and what each customer is trying to achieve. We're building soil at home... a dollar earned today is worth more than one tomorrow, but a tonne of fertilizer value today is much cheaper than one purchased 10 years from now.

fargus":1u6bym5p said:
I sell fertilizer, so I'll try and give you a snapshot. Urea (46-0-0) is retailing at $575/MT, which works out to 55 - 60 cents/lb of actual N. MAP (11-52-0) is roughly $840/MT, and potash (0-0-60) is $675-700/MT. I don't like pricing in units, there is too much confusion that results.

I'd much rather spend $8/acre on clover seed than $60/acre on chemical nitrogen. The P and K are dependent on soil test values, and what each customer is trying to achieve. We're building soil at home... a dollar earned today is worth more than one tomorrow, but a tonne of fertilizer value today is much cheaper than one purchased 10 years from now.
We are close in price, your paying $616 a ton for 23-15-17. Do they charge flat rate per acre for spreading or do they charge by the ton? Here it is $6 per acre up to 400lbs then an additional charge of $1 per 100 lbs per acre, So when spreading 874 lbs per acre, they charge me almost $11 per acre.

I bought some 17-8-13 with 3 S, 1.9 Ca and 0.4 Mg for $527/ton in July. $6.50/acre spreading fee regardless of amount.

We charge a flat rate per acre for spreading, but delivery is extra. Application ranges from $7-10/acre depending on which machine the customer prefers and how good the going is.

If you want to rent a pull-type spreader it's a flat fee per tonne.