Fertilizer cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
I have 90 acres of brome. I called a custom applicator and asked to have fertilizer spread. They did. The bill came. I'm out of touch with reality apparently. They spread 3,455 lbs of 11-52-0. 14,800 lbs of 46-0-0 and 700 lbs of sulfur.
It cost $4,539.87 or $50.44 an acre. Someone tell me that's what it costs cause I was expecting about 1/2 that price. This isn't an area I'm familiar with. I know what pairs sold for last week. What a 500 lb steer is worth but fertilizer....nope.

$478 per ton applied. 200 lbs per acre.

Did they mix those two together? I paid $395 per ton for 46-0-0 in a buggy that I put out.

It may be a little high, but not like your thinking.

Thank you. I didn't know. Sure appreciate the input.
At Farmers & Ranchers, Salina KS, special cow sale, May 7 there was a large group of old RA cows with calves at side. These girls were thin. The pen back crew was told to take it easy with the cows as they would go down they were so weak. They brought $1700 a pair. 2-4 year old pairs were bringing an easy $2,500 to $2,700. It was a strong sale.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
I have 90 acres of brome. I called a custom applicator and asked to have fertilizer spread. They did. The bill came. I'm out of touch with reality apparently. They spread 3,455 lbs of 11-52-0. 14,800 lbs of 46-0-0 and 700 lbs of sulfur.
It cost $4,539.87 or $50.44 an acre. Someone tell me that's what it costs cause I was expecting about 1/2 that price. This isn't an area I'm familiar with. I know what pairs sold for last week. What a 500 lb steer is worth but fertilizer....nope.

Did you have a soil test or how did you come up with those numbers being what you needed?

Kenny: most likely a big screwup on my part. This is an old brome meadow. It was cut & baled last year. I want to do it again this year and the guy doing the swathing and baling said I should have it fertilized. Sure.ok.whatever. I called the local applicator service and told em what I had & what I wanted. They said they would take care of it. Ground applicator and support truck showed up and did their job. My mistake was not asking "how much". Probably a good thing I didn't ask! This 90 acres of brome is my only exposure to the crop side of things. Otherwise, I'm pastures and cattle. I buy the rest of the bales that get me through the winter. If it ever warms up, this brome patch ought to yield like crazy. We've had enough rain to refloat the ark.

It should really grow but the amount of Nitrogen compared to the other parts seemed high. My question about the soil test was just wondering if that was what is needed. The N will make it grow great but long term the soil test is needed.
Just so you feel better I spent $156 an acre on some pasture a couple years ago. It's what the soil test said was needed. It sure has helped though.

Hay removal mines minerals. No way around that, and $50 per acre probably does not cover it.
Current grazing theory is that cattle stimulate the soil biology that increases mineral availability.
So you need to look hard at your grazing season vs. your feeding season.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
According to my figures, you put about 80 units of nitrogen and 20 units of phosphorus per acre. Your costs sound in line

We just fertilized 55 acres with 32-10-10 ( I think; I know the N was 32 but can't remember with the P & K were 10-10 or 0-10) at 200 pounds per acre. The bill was $2800 and change.

Latest posts