Fertilizer and seed prices

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Anybody pricing fertilizer and seed. Prices really dropping in the last few weeks. Everywhere I have checked I am told seed will be cheaper in the next month. Wonder if they have finally realized that we are not going to buy at their high prices.
Today 19-19-19 at $501 per ton down from $1020 in the fall. fescue seed .80, red clover 2.05, orchard grass $2.30. These are all down about 30% from a couple of months ago.

kenny thomas":19vlhkul said:
Anybody pricing fertilizer and seed. Prices really dropping in the last few weeks. Everywhere I have checked I am told seed will be cheaper in the next month. These are all down about 30% from a couple of months ago.

I wish:
- Our local fertilizer suppliers are holding the line on price. I asked about price declines and they only wanted to talk about urea. I think they bought wholesale a while ago and don't want to write down inventory
- I have not priced seed yet but catalogs were printed a while ago and no one has announced a sale in our area.
- I did price 6' tee posts - - $4.95 last week. The Farm and Fleet store brought in a load last fall and are they/we are stuck with them. I did buy 8 hay rings last week. I said I would only pay what I paid last spring and they agreed to that price.

I tried to be fiscally responsible in January (I will get over it by spring green up) and did a gross margin analysis for cow/calf, replacement heifers, and stockers. Not pretty... :x

I bought some DAP(18-46-0) last Friday for $450/ton to put under some pine trees that I've been raking straw from. That's down from around a $1200/ton high last year. The fertilizer man said ammonium nitrate was way down from last years high but I forget what he said the ton price was.

I have a field that we soil tested and applied what the soil test recommended. Last year the price was $575 to fertilize the 10 acre field and in January the quote for the same fertilizer was $1090. I may try and get another quote in March.

Just got a seed price sheet from one of my dealers and the prices have dropped haybeans last yr were $26.80 this yr $24.95 per 50lbs Orchard Grass down .32 per lb ,fescue down .33 cents per lb
lespedeza down .54 pr lb Oats .40 pr bushel ,alfalfa went up or held the same depends on variety, clovers all went up

Latest posts