fertilizer and pellet lime

Help Support CattleToday:

Do it all the time, won't hurt a thing. I do like agricultural lime better, but have some places that the spreader truck can't get into.

243, what is your response to the statement "pelletized lime is a bandaid, a temporary fix only. If you want to lime, then lime it with ag lime". I was told this the other day

i always read you don't put them down at the same time.. fert one year.. lime the next.. they cancel each other out or something.. maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in?

ddd75":32rnx5il said:
i always read you don't put them down at the same time.. fert one year.. lime the next.. they cancel each other out or something.. maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in?

this is what i have always herd.

ddd75":3dieyf6s said:
They do not cancel each other out, the lime makes the PH correct which makes the fertilize more effective. First do a soil test and see what is really needed. If you can spread the age lime 3-4 months before it will be broken down enough to make tu e fertilizer work well.

talltimber":o2svnqsp said:
That's what i keep reading and getting told. Lime before you spend one cent on fertilizer
Soil test before u spend one cent on anything. There is no way you can guess what it needs without it. Tell you what, write on a paper what you would spread both in lime and fertilizer. Figure the cost. Put that paper away in a safe place. Do a soil test and then figure the cost again. Compare what u actually need to what you would have spread. Bet you will be surprised. I would have spread lime where it wasn't needed, not spread where it was needed, would never have spread the correct amounts of fertilizer. I now do not spread anything except nitrogen without doing a soil test.

ddd75":1vy9kbid said:

I am glad you brought that up its absolutely terrible to do them both the same year... These are the horrible results I get below.. ;-) :mrgreen: :D

IMG_20160514_121054901_zps4v0ph89w.jpg

IMG_20160522_184038689_zpsfrh0zngj.jpg

IMG_20160612_105240773_HDR_zpsceoyagha.jpg

You certainly wouldn't want this jungle

IMG_20160612_105237203_zpsreuxicxg.jpg

talltimber":3bdsh9w0 said:
243, what is your response to the statement "pelletized lime is a bandaid, a temporary fix only. If you want to lime, then lime it with ag lime". I was told this the other day

That's bullshyt, pelletized lime is concentrated and much more expensive, they both do the same thing. If cost were the same I would use pelletized, but it ain't even close. We have some of the most acidic soil anywhere, I usually put out two tons to the acre of lime every other year. It cost me around 27.00 per ton delivered and spread, if I remember correctly the little 40 pound bags of pelletized lime are a little over three bucks each, now your looking at 175.00 or so a ton. You would not spread the pelletized at the same rate as the ag lime though.

Spreading lime and nitrogen fertilizer together can cause a chemical reaction that will significantly increase the volatilization of the nitrogen. Thus a lot of your N goes off into the atmosphere. I wouldn't wait a whole year between applications, but I wouldn't put them together. I always lime in the fall so the winter rains can wash it into the soil and spread N fertilizer in the early spring when the grass needs it to grow.

Several publications claim you will get just as fast of effect with regular lime. As there will be quite a lot dust in with ag lime that will break down just as fast. I buy a lot of lime as a tobacco farmer as very high rates of N have a negative effect on ph. I have spread lime at about every time of year except the 110 days tobacco is in the field with no negative effects. When you need it the worst you can do is not to spread it. It is really cheap here I think about 11.50 spread.

Latest posts