Fertilizer and Chemicals

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
Got a call the other day they had a couple of semi's full of 250 gal totes of Bucaneer Plus for 9.50a gallon, they also had some leftover 28% nitrogen for $155 delivered. I wondered if you fellers were seeing the same thing, these inputs have been killing us, it's about time some of this stuff went down. The round up I doubt will get much cheaper than 9.50, but the 28 I don't know, I hate the thoughts of putting that in my tanks, paying for it, waiting till spring only to be able to buy it cheaper.

Larry

Input prices fall when demand for them falls. I'm already lined up for about half a million pounds of chicken poop for next year.

Let them keep their fertilize....

Most old-timers I see, wait until bargain time to give anyone money. The guy across the street from me is building two houses in one of the worst housing crisis we have ever had. Wonder what he is buying his materials for? What I learned, is there is a feeling inside one gets when a too good to be true price is there. This is the time to buy, and buy big, if legit, whatever it is.

larryshoat":o6rheosm said:
Got a call the other day they had a couple of semi's full of 250 gal totes of Bucaneer Plus for 9.50a gallon, they also had some leftover 28% nitrogen for $155 delivered. I wondered if you fellers were seeing the same thing, these inputs have been killing us, it's about time some of this stuff went down. The round up I doubt will get much cheaper than 9.50, but the 28 I don't know, I hate the thoughts of putting that in my tanks, paying for it, waiting till spring only to be able to buy it cheaper.

Larry

If you'll need it next year, I'd buy. And that is completely worth what I'm charging you. I feel those are good prices, more chances it will go up than down when spring comes around.

grannysoo":ls7ot6ll said:
Input prices fall when demand for them falls. I'm already lined up for about half a million pounds of chicken poop for next year.

That's a crappy attitude. Everybody can't get chicken poop. You'll be lucky if those chicken houses aren't under foreclosure next year.

grannysoo":4g060kzi said:

what is your litter costing per ton with spreading?
you would be hard pressed to get the litter guys around here to talk to you for 250 tons most want to deliver 500 tons or none at all
I just bought mine and will start spreading next week

grannysoo":1174nssg said:

That would be great if it's close, and cheap. What is chicken manure about 3 % nitrogen?

Larry

Larry, I don't see how the per unit price on N could get much cheaper than the $155/ton for the 28%. If I figured right, that's about 27 cents a unit. I just had some 19% put out cost me 30 cents a unit. Cheapest it's been in 10 years or more.

ga. prime":2n6300v5 said:
Larry, I don't see how the per unit price on N could get much cheaper than the $155/ton for the 28%. If I figured right, that's about 27 cents a unit. I just had some 19% put out cost me 30 cents a unit. Cheapest it's been in 10 years or more.

I agree, we've paid 2 to 3 times that much for it and survived. The way I got it now I can only hold 1 semi load. In Ohio you're only allowed to have 5000 gallons at one location, is it like that in all states? I thought about putting more tanks on another farm, but would hate to come back and find them empty for whatever reason.

Larry

larryshoat":6abg3srj said:
grannysoo":6abg3srj said:

That would be great if it's close, and cheap. What is chicken manure about 3 % nitrogen?

Larry
I use turkey litter instead of chicken litter and what I had delivered this yr was 3.8% on nitrogen which is on the high side so for every ton you are getting 76lbs of N,
where people get confused on litter is the amounts applied you apply litter by tons per acre instead of a few hundred lbs per acre
I apply 1 ton per acre on pasture since I have got them where I am just maintaining and hay fields I apply 2 tons per acre

Latest posts