FERTILIZE AND SEED

Help Support CattleToday:

rc690

Reaction score
IS IT SAFE TO FERTILIZE AND THEN SEED AND LET COWS AND CALVES ON THE PASTURE AT THE SAME TIME? I REALIZE THAT IT WON'T DO AS GOOD AS A JOB BUT I AM LIMITED ON SPACE.

rc690":2yvi6kun said:
IS IT SAFE TO FERTILIZE AND THEN SEED AND LET COWS AND CALVES ON THE PASTURE AT THE SAME TIME? I REALIZE THAT IT WON'T DO AS GOOD AS A JOB BUT I AM LIMITED ON SPACE.

Are you trying to improve an existing stand? If so, it will be safe but not much new grass will survive. If it comes up the cattle will pull the young grass up before it establishes a good root system. Need to wait until next fall and find a way to keep the cows off until it is established a bit. Fall seeding works better most of the time in the southeast anyway.

I AM TRYING TO IMPROVE THE STAND, BUT WAS WONDERING IF SAFE TO FERT W/TRIPLE 10 AND THEN SEED WITH THE CATTLE RUNNING ABOUT. I KNOW IT WOULD BE IDEAL TO KEEP THEM OFF BUT LIKE I SAID I AM SPACE LIMITED.

It's safe as long as a stream of fertilizer doesn't run out in a pile and a cow eats it which would result in a lethality.

RECKON I NEED TO WALK BEHIND WITH A BROOM JUST IN CASE. :lol2:
THAT IS GOOD TO KNOW. I NEED TO FERT ASAP. MAYBE THE WET WEATHER WILL LET UP AND I CAN GET OUT NEXT WK OR SO.

You got the right idea with the broom, or shovel, or leaf blower. Don't leave any mounds of fertilizer out there. You want it spread out as much as possible.

SO I AM ASSUMING THAT IT SHOULD BE OK JUST AS LONG AS NOTHING PILES AND THE CATTLE GRAZE ON IT. THE IDEAL THING WOULD TO BE TO KEEP THEM OFF BUT THAT AIN'T POSSIBLE AT THIS POINT.

I would try to get the fertilizer on BEFORE the rain lets up. The rain will was it into the soil, you will lose very little to volatilization and the cattle will be less likely to get nitrate poisoning. You might want to use an atv with a pull behind spreader even in the rain as long as you cover the hopper. Good luck.

Unless this is a mostly bare dirt lot you will be mostly wasting your money if the grass doesn;t get a chance to set real roots before the cows start eating it.

we fertilize every year with cattle in the fields. seeding works better in the fall, it can withstand cold better than hot & dry.

Latest posts