Fertility?

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin":2bc51m0g said:
I had understand the sequencing drugs would start the cycling even in non cycling females... like before the 45 days after calving and in non cycling heifers.
Valerie
Your right, I took the time to look it up. I was always told it would not work on anestrous cows.

novatech":2j1s4l4f said:
vclavin":2j1s4l4f said:
I had understand the sequencing drugs would start the cycling even in non cycling females... like before the 45 days after calving and in non cycling heifers.
Valerie
Your right, I took the time to look it up. I was always told it would not work on anestrous cows.

It depends why she is not cycling anymore Nova ,it does not always work . Even in healthy 2 year old after she has been dried off.

The ovsynch and cidrsynch protocols (prostaglandin and gnrh) are commonly used to kickstart cycling in aneostrus dairy cows over here.
I don't have a lot of success with getting them pregnant that way. Apparently other farmers do. If I synch a cow I usually keep a record on the database - the people who keep that database want the information anyway, so that they don't unfairly penalise their AI techs conception rate by including subfertile cows in the calculation. So when I see on a cow's record that she's been synchronised once or twice I do presume she's less fertile.

Nearly all of those cows would have started cycling without the drugs, it just would have taken longer. Every year till last year if I have a non-cycling dairy cow I don't worry too much, because she'll come on heat at some point before the end of mating. Last year I had a bunch of heifers on a real tough farm, refused to let my boss synchronise them (he did over 1/3 of his own herd) and waited and waited and waited. One of the 22 never cycled (I had the vet check her in May and he confirmed that she wasn't cycling but thought she would when she gained some weight). Another two cycled for the first time months after calving, and got in calf. I'd never seen such a herd for not cycling - and it was the farm's fault, not the cows.

Latest posts