Fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
How's this one for feritility: Back in November and December of this past year, my dad had a group of sim-angus heifers that had just had their first calves and we were getting ready to AI them back. All of them cycled early but one. We never did see #13 cycle so when we got done AI'ing we turned her with the cleanup bull and assumed we had just missed her and she would get bred. Well, we figured out why we never saw her cycle.....she was already bred. Yep she had another calf on Monday, 6/15/09.

Before you guys jump me about not paying attention, let me explain. Last year in the middle of August, we pulled the bulls away from the main cow herd as we always do. We were out of pasture space and decided to put them in with this group of heifers that was about to calve, knowing that about October 1 we'd have to get them away from the heifers when the oldest calf was about 30 days old. Plus we needed to bring them in and get them ready for the following breeding season. We figured they'd be more content there anyway.

So I went back and looked up when #13 had her calf last fall.....8/19/08. Did a little calculating, and for her to have a calf on 6/15/09 as she did, she must have cycled and gotten bred back on or about 9/5/08. That would be about 16 days after she had her very first calf!! :eek: :eek:

Crossbreds seem to be more fertile, generally speaking. In our beef herd, a majority of cows that come up open tend to be the straight breds.

i have a reg beefmaster cow that her CI was 303 days.so that means she bred back on her 1st heat.you have a real fertile cow there.

Being that she's a younger cow it could be that she calved a little earlier and that would put her in the 21 day range. Getting bred the first cycle after calving isn't unheard of, but is a good job on that heifers part.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":527w31uy said:
Yup, you've got a good one there! Probably a bit out of sinc with the rest of your herd - but earlier is better than later.
How do you like the SimAngus heifers?

I think the black Sim bull was a good cross on my dad's mostly angus based cows. We kept several groups of heifers before we got rid of that bull. He has since gone back to Angus bulls because of a feeder calf buy back program that one of the local Angus ranches has.

Latest posts