Fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

TxStateCowboy

Reaction score
What is the youngest any of ya'll have had a heifer give birth?

My best registered LH heifer calved in november @ just under 19 months.

There was a young LH at the TLBAA World Show in June that had was born Jan. the previous yeear and she had a calf at side, born the day before the show. So that would make her 17 months old. My dad has also had one give birth at 17 months old. She was a great mom that time and since become a real good producer. My dad's was an accident by the way, can't speak for the first case.

Ryan

TxStateCowboy":22mwfshd said:
What is the youngest any of ya'll have had a heifer give birth?

My best registered LH heifer calved in november @ just under 19 months.

I've seen Galloway and Highland heifers calve as young as 14 or 15 months. Figure that out. Conceiving when they're 500 lbs. and 5-6 months old.

Had a very small Dexter heifer calve at 19 months; I pulled the calf (my first and only so far, knock on wood). Heifer was fine, thankfully, but the calf died 24 hours later. Mismanagement on my part that she was bred too early and something I am certainly not proud of....I still get guilt pangs when I think about that horrible March night and that heifer moaning for help. (She has had several calves since then, unassisted, all survived, thank the Lord!)

I had a registered hereford calf at one year almost to the day, no assistance. We actually put her in chute and checked her tatto to be sure I hadn't screwed up her number. Never had another do that. Farmguy

Guys,

Are you telling me that the hefier took the bull when they were 3 months old and had a calf when they were 12 months old?????

Surely not !!!!!

Apparantly so. One of the heifers calved the end of March or first part of April, so that would have made her no more than a year old, and the other one calved the end of April or first of May so she would have been somewhere between 12 and 13 months old, as we start calving March 15th and finish around the middle of May.

Latest posts