Fertility Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

During Spring 1999 calfing many cattle in my area were 2-3 months late and about 10% of the cattle did not calf at all. There has also been a high number of twins born and a significant number of minor birth defects, i.e. lamness, . No one seems interested in this as a general problem. <br>Several horse breeders have also expressed problems with mares. I would like to know how widespread this problem is, and if anyone has any ideas. Interestingly the local hospital has reported a significant increase C-sections performed.<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I'd bet the weather of the summer of '98 was unusual for your area. A nutrition problem widespread due to too much or too little rain during the breeding season would do this, or toxins from widespread grasshopper or insect control.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3024xdjk said:
: I'd bet the weather of the summer of '98 was unusual for your area. A nutrition problem widespread due to too much or too little rain during the breeding season would do this, or toxins from widespread grasshopper or insect control.<p>: Jason Trowbridge<br>: Southern Angus Farms<br>: Alberta Canada<p>I'd say Jason hit the nail on the head! The Summer<br>of 1998 would be your breeding season and in my area<br>we had a severe dry spell! This heat would impact<br>the bull and the resulting drop in forage quality<br> could impact the cow's ability to rebreed! During<br>dry weather stress, the cow may need extra mineral<br>just when most ranchers hold back minerals and increase<br>free choice salt.<p>Other factors may contribute as age of cattle or <br>health programs, but I'd think weather was a major<br>factor!<p>Phil
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts