Fertilitizing Sorghum Sudan ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have been no tilling a sorghum sudan dominated grazing mix for the last several summers. I put it into run down sprayed out paddocks to start a renovation process. I fertilize with some manure and about 40# of N before planting. The crop starts out good, but then seems to run out of N and yellows after 4 to 6 weeks.

Seems like I need to skip the manure and do a split application of more N just like corn?
Any other tips to increase forage production?

Rule of thumb I use is you get a day of grazing for each pound of N you use. Personally, I wouldn't be putting the N out at planting but just before it reaches grazing height.

Use DAP when you plant it. Has a bit of N, and a lot of P which will get them going, then later top dress some urea.

sim.-ang.king":392n8tj9 said:
Use DAP when you plant it. Has a bit of N, and a lot of P which will get them going, then later top dress some urea.

Ditto. The way this works for me in practice is the N is running out about the time I need to pull the cows. I fertilize again, let it rest then put the cows back on it when its recovered and I still find I can grow more than I can graze even with heavy stocking.

With me it varies depending on the amount of forage I have but if I'm in a push I'll grab the millet with the back of my hand and pull it to simulate grazing. If I don't pull much of it up by the roots I'll start grazing. This will be about six inches but sometimes it will be taller. Just depends on how well the soil gets packed.

With the application of manure I'd just hold off on the N for a couple of weeks then apply it maybe a week before its ready to graze. This should give you about a month and a half of good grazing before it starts going backward. FWIW, an old cattleman here suggests never applying more than 40 lbs of N at any one time with millet. He claims its the repetition and not the amount that makes the difference.