Fert and grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
I fertilized the pastures a week ago, got to it a lot later than I had hoped. But I swear I heard years ago that you should wait a certain amount of time before letting your herd on it (or maybe not???). We've had plenty of rain since I spread the fert, temps have been 50s and a few 60s. Mostly fescue, with clover, etc. I just want them to take some off the top and rotate to a few other a pastures for a couple weeks before it all really takes off.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Justin

I've spread it in the same field they were grazing. Maybe you're not really supposed to, but it's never caused any problems here.

Cucumber35":219veg1o said:
I've spread it in the same field they were grazing. Maybe you're not really supposed to, but it's never caused any problems here.
About the only time I can see it being a problem is if piles of the stuff are left. Knowing cows, they'll think it's a treat and eat it all up. He said there had been rain so those piles should be well desolved into the ground by now

Depends what the fertiliser is. An inch of rain or three weeks before turning the cattle in is the advice I've always heard... have turned them in at less than that and never had a problem, but my heifer grazier one year notified all their farmers that they'd had sick heifers from fertilising in a drought and not getting rain on it before grazing.

You've had rain so should be fine.

Thanks for the responses, I turned them out yesterday evening. We probably had 1.5 inches last week. Couple dry days this weekend then Tstorms Monday and Wednesday. We are wet and it doesn't look like this cycle is going anywhere in the near future.

I had the same concerns.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=108425

I filled them up on hay yesterday, have had bloat blocks and hi mag mineral out for a few days and finally turned them in on it yesterday afternoon. They went nuts. Was glad to see they were all still alive this morning, but I don't want to be standing behind one when she decides to take a shyte.
Been raining off and on since I originally asked about this and again since about 4am today, so I think it'll be ok.

regolith":2dc5epu4 said:
Depends what the fertiliser is. An inch of rain or three weeks before turning the cattle in is the advice I've always heard... have turned them in at less than that and never had a problem, but my heifer grazier one year notified all their farmers that they'd had sick heifers from fertilising in a drought and not getting rain on it before grazing.

You've had rain so should be fine.

The lack of rain would lead to nitrate poisoning via eating grass, just the same as grazing many things in doughty of frosty conditions. As long as there are no piles of fertilizer, and the grass is not stressed should be good.

Latest posts