Feral Pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
What is the consensus here on the affect of wind on feral pigs? Are they more like deer and hide out in brush until it blows over, or will they venture out in the open- especially if it is the main food source?

I have seen them in all kinds of weather. Rain, wind, or sun; I have hunted them with success. Although, when it snows they tend to be in the brush until it stops.

Wind really messes with a deer's strong sense of self preservation. Hogs not so much. In fact I think it would give you the advantage. I'm guessing you also had some serious wind gust today.

We don't get much wind but one piece that I have has a steady strong breeze as it's a canyon that shoots straight up to the high country and I've killed just as many pigs there as I have in the areas where there is no wind. In fact, it makes it easier to kill them as my road runs the top of the ridge and the wind comes uphill so once I spot them they can't smell me coming.

I have seen them build a nest/bed out of pine straw and bed up during a bad cold front.
This was when the old domestic hog was running the woods.
With the infusion of Russian Boar I haven't seen anything effect them except lead.

Here the wind doesn't seem to bother them much like I said, the main thing is you won't hardly ever see any out of the woods of a day, late of an evening and early morning some, but they don't come out in the open very often in the day.

You gentlemen were correct, they stuck to there pattern. I didn't want to waste an evening sitting out in the wind if they weren't likely to show. Dang things are spreading out away from the river bottoms now. I've always hunted them in the underbrush of the bottoms, but about 30 of them minus 2 now, have just destroyed the grass canyon bottoms in a section and a half , and are working on a small canola field daily.

Busted em up a couple times last night. Seems like previously, if I got into them on the river, they would move on for a while. I just don't know if they'll give up this canola very easily. They seen to really like it. Thinking about making a trap.

We are overrun with them. We have traps and its off and on when they will go in them. I think it takes a new generation(like 6 mos later) for them to forget about traps. Its common for me to see a herd of 30 to 40 on my rounds checking cows. Sows with babies plow pastures, a boar will dig craters. The bigger the crater the bigger the boar doing it. I'm the scout, if i see a herd i call in to my guys to make a hit. Since i'm all over the place several times a day, i know when and where you'll see them most of the time. I can go weeks without seeing any, then turn a corner and have 30 running in all directions.
They do build nest. They are very very smart. I've had one as a pet, my daughter had one also. I gave mine to my sister in law where she, 'Noel', lived to be 15. They make amazingly interesting pets.
The best way to cook them is to shove carcass into the oven with onions, carrots celery and cover. Roast for around 8 hours. Pick meat off and put in a smoker for around 2 hours at 215 degrees, covered lightly. We use pear wood, taste great on pork. And if you're a canner, stuff meat in pint jars and add liquid(could be a vinegar water mixture, a stock, or just water) and process. To heat up to eat(this is important), dump out liquid and put meat in a dish. Bake uncovered until heated through. If you put it in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, the meat will take on a weird texture. This is the best way to cook these pasture fleas.... :clap:

cowgirl8":3mvs6fcg said:
We are overrun with them. We have traps and its off and on when they will go in them. I think it takes a new generation(like 6 mos later) for them to forget about traps. Its common for me to see a herd of 30 to 40 on my rounds checking cows. Sows with babies plow pastures, a boar will dig craters. The bigger the crater the bigger the boar doing it. I'm the scout, if i see a herd i call in to my guys to make a hit. Since i'm all over the place several times a day, i know when and where you'll see them most of the time. I can go weeks without seeing any, then turn a corner and have 30 running in all directions.
They do build nest. They are very very smart. I've had one as a pet, my daughter had one also. I gave mine to my sister in law where she, 'Noel', lived to be 15. They make amazingly interesting pets.
The best way to cook them is to shove carcass into the oven with onions, carrots celery and cover. Roast for around 8 hours. Pick meat off and put in a smoker for around 2 hours at 215 degrees, covered lightly. We use pear wood, taste great on pork. And if you're a canner, stuff meat in pint jars and add liquid(could be a vinegar water mixture, a stock, or just water) and process. To heat up to eat(this is important), dump out liquid and put meat in a dish. Bake uncovered until heated through. If you put it in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, the meat will take on a weird texture. This is the best way to cook these pasture fleas.... :clap:

According to the TPWD biologist if you have 100 hogs on your place you would have to kill 75 a year to stay at a 100,
They are that prolific.

Wow.. that is prolific!

you think you could snare them? Pigs are *smart* that's for sure. I could send you some wolves... that might help :)

We've set snares but we usually only snag a coyote. You can trap them. Takes several hybrid pit bulls to bring one down and hold it if you hunt with dogs.. Even redneck hunting 24/7 cant take control of them..In saying that, they are a blast to hunt because they are so smart.

Nesikep":3b8u6rq2 said:
Wow.. that is prolific!

you think you could snare them? Pigs are *smart* that's for sure. I could send you some wolves... that might help :)

If you ever trap them you must eradicate all in the trap if you let one go he is trap wise for life.
If you shoot them you will only get a few and they will go nocturnal or move.
Hog travels a lot as well they might be five miles north tomorrow and not come back for a week
hit you one night and be five miles south tomorrow.
It is easier to move them, that is why all my fences are hot.
Hot wire works 24/7/365 just like they do. Hog dogs are not real
welcome in this part of the world, can't control were a big boar will run.
Talk about tear up fences going through hog looks someone drove a Sherman tank through
the fence if they are pressured.
There are two kinds of people here, people that have hogs tonight
and those that are going to have them one night.
I wouldn't bet on wolves as a hog can fight maybe the pigs they might take out.
Most predators aren't real keen on getting injured.

Caustic Burno, fellow hog hater, i can see you're around hogs like us :wave: .
We dont allow dog hunts on our place and i think that fad is fazing out around here. I was out checking cows once and while i was getting a gate i felt something behind me. It was someones hybrid hog dog. THANK GOD it was a nice dog, his head was about 12 inches wide and he was huge. One of my sons friends use to have a bunch of hog dogs, they would wear kevlar vest to keep from getting gutted. I really hate hog dog hunting, for the dogs and the hogs.
My husband has a AR 6.8. He can hit one at 300 yards. I have tons of pictures of his kills, but not sure its allowed here.

cowgirl8":1onydu24 said:
Caustic Burno, fellow hog hater, i can see you're around hogs like us :wave: .
We dont allow dog hunts on our place and i think that fad is fazing out around here. I was out checking cows once and while i was getting a gate i felt something behind me. It was someones hybrid hog dog. THANK GOD it was a nice dog, his head was about 12 inches wide and he was huge. One of my sons friends use to have a bunch of hog dogs, they would wear kevlar vest to keep from getting gutted. I really hate hog dog hunting, for the dogs and the hogs.
My husband has a AR 6.8. He can hit one at 300 yards. I have tons of pictures of his kills, but not sure its allowed here.

Got tired of hog disposal. I have trapped them in the front yard.
I prefer the 22 mag and proper shot placement I don't have to mess with the hog.
Dang buzzard won't, can't eat them unless you cut the hide so they can get started.
Hog dogs are the most effective way to move hogs as they will leave.
I don't have as much problem with the dogs as they can't control where the hog runs is the problem.
These aren't the hogs of yesteryear. You could take one Cur dog and get every hog in the county.
With the infusion of Russian boar they scatter like quail and run like a deer.