Fencing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
Might get use of a 53 acre piece that borders a river for about 1/3 of the property and then homes and major highway borders the rest. What would be my best bet for fencing? It will flood occasionally on the river side of the land. If it turns out to be to expensive then I guess I'll just not pursue it. It's all good river bottom land and flat.

Wood posts and 5 strand. Can't be any cheaper than that just in case it does flood and take some out

hooknline":2v8y5yj2 said:
Wood posts and 5 strand. Can't be any cheaper than that just in case it does flood and take some out

Yep, especially with a busy road and neighborhood bordering the property.

OK, thanks for the quick advice. Now my big problem is: I'm only good enough at fencing to install electric fencing and I've never done wood post and 5 strand barbed wire. It would be around 53 acres so it would be a fairly good size job, one that I couldn't pull off myself. I assume it would be super expensive to pay someone to do it?

2 bucks a linear foot here. Material included. Might find a deal though. I had some good high school kids that charged me 1/ft.

Not hard if you have clean runs. Check your right away for fence along highway. Set your corners and pull bottom strand. Dig holes and set your post. Nail your wire. Then pull your other strands. Dont try to pull around the corners only pull straight runs. I do all of my fencing by myself and manually dig holes usually 6 strands along highway.

Because they're more expensive and bend. If the fence gets wipes out in a flood stage then he can collect as many wood ones as he can find and put them right back in the ground. Can't do the same with t posts

The part along the highway is about 20 ft. below as the road is raised up above it. I don't really know pricing but I'm thinking it's not going to be worth it. Five strands of barbed wire and wood posts around 53 acres adds up to a bunch of wire and posts. :(

cattlepower":18s6rfyy said:
The part along the highway is about 20 ft. below as the road is raised up above it. I don't really know pricing but I'm thinking it's not going to be worth it. Five strands of barbed wire and wood posts around 53 acres adds up to a bunch of wire and posts. :(
Are you renting ? If so discuss cost of improvement in the lease. If it free use you can probably fence it cheaper than renting another piece of fenced property

M5farm":3dcx8zq2 said:
cattlepower":3dcx8zq2 said:
Are you renting ? If so discuss cost of improvement in the lease. If it free use you can probably fence it cheaper than renting another piece of fenced property

I'm about to discuss the leasing agreement if I can get in touch with the owner.