Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I just bought a place and need to put a perimeter fence around it. The whole fencerow is grown up with big trees, a few miles even goes through thick tree growth.

Do I hire heavy equipment and clear a swath?

Do I chain saw my way through it?

With minimum clearing, do I weave the fence through and around it?

Did I omit an option??

FYI – The soil is classified as "highly erodible". Some areas will be four-strand barbwire. Some will be 4" woven wire. COST is an issue, but doing it right matters most… Cattle will be against the entire fence. Hogs, sheep and goats will be against some other areas.

I need some advice…..

Thanks

Red Bull Breeder":txceey75 said:
For the best long term results, Clear a right of way.
:nod:
If you compare the time involved in chainsaw work vs hiring someone to clear with a dozer the dozer wins every time IMHO. I had 300 hours done on my place in the last two years, I could have worked the rest of my life and hired a crew of 3 other people and still not get as much done with a chainsaw and tractor.

Do not weave, stay on property line, you did not say how many neighbors will be involved or how long the fence will be. When replacing a perimeter fence the first thing to do is contact your neighbor, because it is almost impossible to clear a right of way without cutting trees on the neighbors side especially with a dozer, because their are people that will sue if a trash tree is cut.

Check with your local NRCS office. If it's classified as highly erodable there may be some different rules that apply. For that matter they may have some type of assistance program.

dun":9h7puuzj said:
Check with your local NRCS office. If it's classified as highly erodable there may be some different rules that apply. For that matter they may have some type of assistance program.

What DUn said, you may not be able to Dozier it, CHeck with neighbors, I cleared 1/2 mile with chainsaw, loppers, and weedeater with cutting blade, I made me a walking path along the property line so I could pull wire, the wife had fun pulling scrub stuff out of the way. Only took 2 days, saved big $$$. Dozier work was $85 and hour, and the neighbor was not willing to help, he did have cows, he did not care.

thommoos":soy324o7 said:
dun":soy324o7 said:

What DUn said, you may not be able to Dozier it, CHeck with neighbors, I cleared 1/2 mile with chainsaw, loppers, and weedeater with cutting blade, I made me a walking path along the property line so I could pull wire, the wife had fun pulling scrub stuff out of the way. Only took 2 days, saved big $$$. Dozier work was $85 and hour, and the neighbor was not willing to help, he did have cows, he did not care.

This is how I am leaning.

Thanks

You should be able to clear a fence line even if it is highly erodible soil. You will need to confirm this with NRCS, but should have no problem if it is going back into pasture. If you have multiple species of livestock, I would go with the high tensile woven wire. All fence is high priced but if done right and maintained should last 20 to 30 years. If you cut with a chainsaw be sure to treat stumps with tordon or another product to kill the tree and do it within a few hour of when you cut them.