Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3238l5fj said:
Before considering a jack you might want to read the attached
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/249.pdf

Thanks Dun, I read some of it, will read more later. I have plenty of dogs, but they have never been around cattle and horses, I introduced a few of them to the horses next door, they freaked out at first, I had one that wanted to play after a few minutes though, good thing she was on a leash! I have one male that would love to chase and kill something, but he is almost ten now, I'm afraid he would end up being the one killed.

Don't care to have a llamas. I'll think about a jackass, some other people I know mentioned it to me also.

RD-Sam":1m11e6ep said:
1982vett":1m11e6ep said:
Check your prices on the 4x6's. A 6" x 8' post is/was cheaper than a 4x6-8 around here by about $2.

#2 treated Cypress in a 6 X 6 X 8 here is $14.97, I think the 4 X 6 treated pine was $12 and change, they have came down several dollars in the last couple of months.

I figured you had done your homework, when I did mine it was the other way around. Has a lot to do with location I guess.

I didn't read the article Dun, but have had experence with Jacks. Dad had a big Jack for raising work mules when i was a kid. That SOB was mean.

Red Bull Breeder":satdz9zl said:
I didn't read the article Dun, but have had experence with Jacks. Dad had a big Jack for raising work mules when i was a kid. That SOB was mean.

Jacks and intact male llamas are in the same category, except the llama will also spit. Hatefull things.

Wood burns. I lost everything here in '90.

2 1/2 inch pipe is 2 7/8 outside. It fits nicely under 1 by 3 tube steel and you can weld cattle panel onto the tube steel. You are pretty much done for life.

For now, I would buy wire cattle panels and use T-posts. You can change to any configuration over and over. Less than $2 a foot including posts and big dogs cannot get through cattle panel. If you want to add on, no problem. If you want to take it down and clear the fence row in ten years, no problem.

RD-Sam":1l5snk6v said:
how are the jackasses about staying close

Here's the key point. You want a (1) jackass and only 1 in the field with the cows. If you use 1 jackass, it will bond with the cattle and become one of the herd. If you have more than 1, they will bond with each other and not stay as close to the herd.

dun":aj48120k said:
Red Bull Breeder":aj48120k said:
Do not get a jack use a jenny.

That was part of the point I hoped the article would get across.

Thanks Red Bull & dun. I was coming back to this point even before I read the article. Jackass is a generic term for the animal, however a Jack (male) can be very aggressive and a trouble-maker. The Jenny (female) is always the one that you want on the farm with the animals.

You might also consider a Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD). We have an Anatolian Shepard that lives with our animals. You couldn't ask for a better, more friendly dog, or a dog that's any larger. He weighs in a 200 pounds, is great with the kids/grandkids, and the animals. He walks among them and they totally ignore him.

However, if any animal makes an unusual or distress sound, he turns into Kujo...

Best livestock protection that money can buy.

grannysoo":1s1k61k0 said:
dun":1s1k61k0 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1s1k61k0 said:
Do not get a jack use a jenny.

That was part of the point I hoped the article would get across.

Thanks Red Bull & dun. I was coming back to this point even before I read the article. Jackass is a generic term for the animal, however a Jack (male) can be very aggressive and a trouble-maker. The Jenny (female) is always the one that you want on the farm with the animals.

You might also consider a Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD). We have an Anatolian Shepard that lives with our animals. You couldn't ask for a better, more friendly dog, or a dog that's any larger. He weighs in at 200 pounds, is great with the kids/grandkids, and the animals. He walks among them and they totally ignore him.

However, if any animal makes an unusual or distress sound, he turns into Kujo...

Best livestock protection that money can buy.

RD-Sam":2swdzbxw said:
Say the cows are allowed to roam a 10 acre or 20 acre lot, how are the jackasses about staying close to the cattle. There have been calves and cows killed in the area, so I don't think I am going overboard. Loosing a 2k or a 5k cow isn't worth scrimping on fencing, I kinda hate to leave their fate to a jackass too! :lol2: Although it may not be a bad idea as added precaution.
Big waste of money and time unless you plan to go into the goat business at a later date. If a dog or coyote wants in they will figure out how. Most will use a hole under a fence made by some other varmint. You get all warm a fussy thinking you are protected until you lose a calf. By the time you see it the damage is done.
Get together with your neighbors and the county people. Spend the money collectively hiring a pro to get rid of them.
Or you could just insure them and actually profit on the loss. :lol2:

grubbie":1pqconqk said:
I would follow the elevation. I set my posts, then measured up from the ground for the first board (mine is actually sucker rod) then evenly spaced from there up. My corral is 5 1/2 feet high, if I tried to keep it level, there would be some spots that were only 4 feet high.
Also, maybe this is something to consider; I used pipe and sucker rod. In order to keep the horizontals close enough together to keep cows and calves heads getting through, I would have had probably 15 rails,...a lot of sucker rod. I just went with 3 rails. One at 12 inches off the ground, the top one at 52 inches above the bottom rail, and one in the middle. I then welded those 52" by 16 foot galvanized hog panels to that. Made a great corral. I realize you are using boards but you could still staple them up there and maybe save you on some wood?? Of course you won't want to skimp on any kind of strength in a crowding area, but maybe you could use them in the main corral. Just a suggestion.
GRUBBIE THAT IS THE UW MASCOT "STEAMBOAT"
I SURE HOPE YOU ARE ALUMNI--- IF NOT TAKE IT DOWN AND TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE IF YOU ARE IN WYOMING.
BACK IN THE OLD DAYS THERE WAS A BORDER WAR BETWEEN WYOMING AND MONTANA---

THE FOLKS DOWN IN COUNTY 3 AND 16 THREW DYNAMITE OVER THE BORDER WHICH HIT THE CROW RES--- EVEN THOSE INDIANS KNEW TO LIGHT IT AND THROW IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts