FENCING

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, all, I'm in the middle of re-fencing my farm.My question is that we have about 20 acres of woods, that border our property and our neighbor, should I drop off my wire at the woods and use an electric fence,to keep my cattle out of the woods, or would you fence the entire perimeter woods included? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

[email protected]

I would fence the entire plot if you know the accurate boundary. Then you can use an electric single wire just inside the woods allowing your heard to migrate from your pasture into the treed area edge as they wish. They will enjoy the shade and privacy sometimes.

Good luck

Eaglewerks

> Hi, all, I'm in the middle of
> re-fencing my farm.My question is
> that we have about 20 acres of
> woods, that border our property
> and our neighbor, should I drop
> off my wire at the woods and use
> an electric fence,to keep my
> cattle out of the woods, or would
> you fence the entire perimeter
> woods included? THANKS IN
> ADVANCE!!

[email protected]

The only problem with powered fencing inside the timber line is falling limbs drawing down your shocking ability. Of course, once the cows get used to it you can leave the power off for weeks or months at a stretch and not have any problems.

dunmovin farms

> I would fence the entire plot if
> you know the accurate boundary.
> Then you can use an electric
> single wire just inside the woods
> allowing your heard to migrate
> from your pasture into the treed
> area edge as they wish. They will
> enjoy the shade and privacy
> sometimes.

> Good luck

> Eaglewerks

I would fence the perimeter of all of your property, also. Reason being, if your cattle EVER get off your property, the damages you will pay for, or the cattle you will lose, will far outweigh the cost of doing it entirely the first time. I hope I NEVER forget the gut sinking feeling I had when I discovered at five am in January, that all of my yearlings had escaped into the night. Out in the middle of NOWHERE with thousands of acres to disappear into and a road known for speeders, etc..... If our perimeter had been fenced, the panic would have been minimal. PLUS! The need for insurance to cover loss of animals, or the damage they could have caused, became readily apparent.

[email protected]

Latest posts