Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

CHESTER

Reaction score
I have a little over an acre I would like to fence in for 2 steers and 2 hiefers. which would be better woven wire of 4 strands of electric?

Multistrand 12 1/2 ga high tensile will keep them in and is relatively inexpensive. The charger will be pricey, but if you get a good one you'll be amazed at how many other fence projects it can be used for. Remember the elctric fence is only as good as the gound system. Don;t buy cheap insulators. Goodones don;t cost that much more and will last a life time, cheap ones will make trying to find problems seem like a lifetime.

dun

There's a farm near me that has a 5 strand Hi-Tensile fence, and part of one field is adjacent to the outside of a sharp curve on a busy two lane state highway.. Last winter, I counted no less than 4 cars that ended up IN the field -- and not one of the Hi-Tensile wires ever broke.. :shock: :clap:

Two of those times, it looked as though the vehicles had simply passed right through the fence between the posts.. Almost no damage done to the fence, save a few missing staples and a little re-tensioning needed... The other two resulted in a 6" wooden post broken off at the base, which was suspended by the Hi-Tensile.. Best testimonials I've ever seen.

Can't imagine what it would have looked like had that been woven wire.. Talk about a mess.. :(

Latest posts