Fencing With A Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
Anyone else use a tractor to fence with, bucket makes a great storage area and work bench, cab is nice to store lunch and cold drinks, pull wire from 3 point hitch. I have used several different vehicles, but I like this the best.

If I'm doing something that requires some gear like chainsaw, stretchers, ht wire, post hole diggers, etc I normally do just what you are doing. Too much for a four wheeler.

skyhightree1":2fqin1x0 said:
This is what I call fencing with a tractor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAwhc6Xzlw

I've got a Quickfencer with the 5 strand barb/net setup. Pretty handy for big rolls in big country. We've been making a much simpler wire pay out device (no stretching) for a few years. Doesn't matter how you slice it, 1/4 mile rolls of woven wire, or mile long rolls of barbed, save a ton of time.

must work but it looks like alotta tangled mess comin...what happens at the end of the roll? cuz that's when my unroller gets into a mess..when theres hardly any left

With regard to the Quickfencer, it can turn to a tangled mess if you don't keep the strands separated every 100' or so. The spiders that the barbed wire runs through have a clutch disc, so there is constant tension on the wire. The way to prevent a mess at the end of your wire, is to use wire on a basket or bobbin instead of the goofy plastic outfit that is on Bekaert wire.....And use long rolls so you don't run out as often.

This is the setup we use the most. Simple, light, effective.

This is a SoloTrac driver that I fenced with a little in Wales. It's similar to my machine, but a little better thought out. The next one I build will be more user friendly like this one. Pretty handy all in one machine, for sure.

I don't have any fancy setups but a piece of rebar through a roll of barbed wire and the two bottom links on the 3pt is pretty handy. I keep a big plastic tool box with fencing supplies in the back of the field truck for repairs and if we are doing much usually have a helper so we take the truck and tractor.

Ol' 243":m1vtx6iz said:
Anyone else use a tractor to fence with, bucket makes a great storage area and work bench, cab is nice to store lunch and cold drinks, pull wire from 3 point hitch. I have used several different vehicles, but I like this the best.

Works great as long as your bucket doesn't sag :p

I have a trailer for the ATV I use for most smaller jobs.. good for the chain saws, hammers, etc and can go nearly anywhere

I've built idk how many wire rollers over the years and this is my favorite. A piece of pipe welded to the truck bed. If I wanna roll out 5 I weld 4 more pieces down. You can drive it off or walk it off works either way. Just enough friction to prevent backlash.
Like farm fence said a good spool is important. Oklahoma makes a pretty good one.

callmefence":2oy5s22q said:
I've built idk how many wire rollers over the years and this is my favorite. A piece of pipe welded to the truck bed. If I wanna roll out 5 I weld 4 more pieces down. You can drive it off or walk it off works either way. Just enough friction to prevent backlash.
Like farm fence said a good spool is important. Oklahoma makes a pretty good one.

someone stole your barbs

ddd75":3nie2f3d said:
callmefence":3nie2f3d said:

someone stole your barbs

:D ...

Ol' 243":39yvuj9b said:

I have and a Mule is pretty handy at as well

Ol' 243":3nrq3brq said:

I just finished a 1,200 ft stretch of 5 strand barb wire and used my little compact New Holland TC30 tractor just like you showed in your pictures. The arms of my 3point stick out far enough from the rear tires that I just slide a steel rod between the two arms to hold the roll of barb wire as it unwinds, works pretty good. I will say that the bucket of your tractor looks much cleaner than mine was. My bucket became a catch-all for everything, it got disorganized really fast.

TexFarmer":xx7qzm9v said:
I will say that the bucket of your tractor looks much cleaner than mine was. My bucket became a catch-all for everything, it got disorganized really fast.

That was taken before I started . . . . . . . lol

I am a newbie to the Boards, but for unrolling Barbed Wire you can't beat the Easy Fence Tool. My father invented it years ago. Sadly he was run over by a Tractor last month and died. This is not a solicitation because his patent ran out years ago and lots of companies make them now (not as sturdy as the original but cheaper).

sstterry":ar6uectp said:
I am a newbie to the Boards, but for unrolling Barbed Wire you can't beat the Easy Fence Tool. My father invented it years ago. Sadly he was run over by a Tractor last month and died. This is not a solicitation because his patent ran out years ago and lots of companies make them now (not as sturdy as the original but cheaper).

neat story.. sorry about your father.

I use a old push mower handle with a small rebar through the barb wire roll.. that way the barb wire stays on the ground and unrolls itself as you pull. most of the time i just pull it with the atv.

Latest posts