Fencing questions

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
It has been asked maybe a million times but, In Texas, or heck anywhere is one suppose to fence in his cattle or fence out your neighbors? The neighbor has some Holstein calve that are jumping the fence. Honestly the fence is junk and I am getting to it as fast as I can without taking days off, but this has happened more than once. I told him keep his animals in cause one day they will get in the road, but he hasn't done anything. They are eating my sudan and if they keep on one might end up with lead poisoning(not sudan inflicted obviously). Just wanted thoughts and opinions.

In Texas you are obligated to keep your animals out of the roadway and normally held liable for any damage they cause while outside of the fence.

slick4591":1mw1xs58 said:
In Texas you are obligated to keep your animals out of the roadway and normally held liable for any damage they cause while outside of the fence.
Not according to a former state legislator who is currently running for Ag Cmmissioner. My wife hit one of his cows that had gotten out in the road and did $5,000 damage to her car. According to him it is a free range state and he's not liable.

I'm in Collin and I can tell you that animals are picked up and tickets issued for failing to contain livestock. Apparently, someone forgot to tell the sheriff he had no jurisdiction. :shock:

jrn28":25cgcvu7 said:
It has been asked maybe a million times but, In Texas, or heck anywhere is one suppose to fence in his cattle or fence out your neighbors? The neighbor has some Holstein calve that are jumping the fence. Honestly the fence is junk and I am getting to it as fast as I can without taking days off, but this has happened more than once. I told him keep his animals in cause one day they will get in the road, but he hasn't done anything. They are eating my sudan and if they keep on one might end up with lead poisoning(not sudan inflicted obviously). Just wanted thoughts and opinions.

You shoot your neighbors cow on your place you are going to jail in Texas and going to pay for the cow.
As far as fence in or out depends on the county stock law in your county. Out of 254 counties in Texas there are still 10 or 12 open range
counties.

You better read this real well and understand it.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... AG.142.htm

The cow had gotten through a very poor fence and was in the gravel road. Wife was driving (too fast) into the sun and hit the cow at about 40 or 50 mph. Cow limped back into its own pasture; don't know why it didn't kill it. It survived and had a calf a few months later. I asked the politician if he had insurance; he said he didn't need it. My insurance had to pay to fix the car. Needless to say, I have never voted for the man. He runs as Mr. Conservative, but mainly he feeds at the public trough.

I keep my perimeter fences tight and maintained. Don't want to lose a cow and certainly don't want to get anyone hurt, whether I'm held liable or not.

Latest posts