Fencing project

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Here is a post for "Fence", you seem to be a bit left out of a lot of the intensive discussion about Angus and BH of late Mate, so I would welcome your critique of my project here. I am doing the back 2km boundary of a block that I recently bought. The fence is also the state border. The existing fence that we originally thought was the boundary fence was originally put in about the early 1900's as the "tick fence" to keep cattle potentially carrying cattle tick from entering NSW, it used to get ridden twice daily by a government boundary rider up until about 1980. I noted from photograph maps that the cleared area didn't correspond to the actual border so had it pegged by a surveyor and it was out all the way varying from 20m to over 150m in places in my favour so I contacted my neighbours who knew about the error and have agreed to fund half of it. The actual state border was surveyed in the mid 1800's and is along the watershed where water in NSW runs out to the coast and on my side Qld it runs inland into the Murray Darling system so the fence line is along some tough rocky country that has stood up to the weathering but the country is selectively cleared and worth reclaiming.

The fist two photos are both sides of a big hill that has been heavily mined for tin, a lot of horizontal trenches to fill in that was fairly challenging to get post in but over all I am happy with what I was able to achieve.
Evert change in diection I used a H brace. I prefabbed the 73 mm drill pipe in the shed by welding on some 40x40 SHS steel using the bearings from the survey plan for the alignment so that the horizontal pipe slipped over them. I had no means to drive them into the ground so holes were dug about 7-800 mm and they were concreted in and everything seems to be holding well with no movement when straining the wire. The netting I am gut straining with gripples and am happy hosw tight I am getting it. I keep saying to my self "if it aint tight it aint right" dammed annoying that. Top wire is at 1550mm, Il translate that one for you (5' 2") the idea is to keep roos out, we have mostly wallabies and wallaroos so not the big jumpers. A hot wire will run along the bottom on my side to keep dogs from going under into the neighbours sheep.

Ken

Looks good.

I'm not Fence, and don't have much experience, but have one anecdote.

I had an inline pipe brace like that, in rocky ground and apparently it was only set 12-18" deep (sorry not sure on conversion) But a good sized tree branch, about 12" round, fell on the fence 3 posts down from the brace and popped the far pipe right out of the ground cement and all.
So keep the trees away I guess.

Still haven't tore up and re-set that stupid thing yet.

Yep, well mine are down a bit further, 750mm translates to 3'6" about the limit of my auger in pretty hard ground and I bell the holes out at the bottom so makes it tough for them to lift out. I did have one at the top of the hill that I could only get down your 18" as I hit a big slab of rock so I cut the post off and welded a plate on and Chemset some anchors into the rock to bolt the post to. I did have a branch come down on it a bit further down and did not seem to move it.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Here is a post for "Fence", you seem to be a bit left out of a lot of the intensive discussion about Angus and BH of late Mate, so I would welcome your critique of my project here. I am doing the back 2km boundary of a block that I recently bought. The fence is also the state border. The existing fence that we originally thought was the boundary fence was originally put in about the early 1900's as the "tick fence" to keep cattle potentially carrying cattle tick from entering NSW, it used to get ridden twice daily by a government boundary rider up until about 1980. I noted from photograph maps that the cleared area didn't correspond to the actual border so had it pegged by a surveyor and it was out all the way varying from 20m to over 150m in places in my favour so I contacted my neighbours who knew about the error and have agreed to fund half of it. The actual state border was surveyed in the mid 1800's and is along the watershed where water in NSW runs out to the coast and on my side Qld it runs inland into the Murray Darling system so the fence line is along some tough rocky country that has stood up to the weathering but the country is selectively cleared and worth reclaiming.

The fist two photos are both sides of a big hill that has been heavily mined for tin, a lot of horizontal trenches to fill in that was fairly challenging to get post in but over all I am happy with what I was able to achieve.
Evert change in diection I used a H brace. I prefabbed the 73 mm drill pipe in the shed by welding on some 40x40 SHS steel using the bearings from the survey plan for the alignment so that the horizontal pipe slipped over them. I had no means to drive them into the ground so holes were dug about 7-800 mm and they were concreted in and everything seems to be holding well with no movement when straining the wire. The netting I am gut straining with gripples and am happy hosw tight I am getting it. I keep saying to my self "if it aint tight it aint right" dammed annoying that. Top wire is at 1550mm, Il translate that one for you (5' 2") the idea is to keep roos out, we have mostly wallabies and wallaroos so not the big jumpers. A hot wire will run along the bottom on my side to keep dogs from going under into the neighbours sheep.

Ken

Very impressive ken

greybeard said:
Pretty country for sure. Somehow, it's not what I picture Australia looking like.
It is beautifull grazing country GB, unfortunately I only own the narrow strip that I am reclaiming, the rest of my new block is scrub but I will be working on developing what I can, very strict clearing rules here, my trees have to save the world. I am allowed to do some clearing to repair environmental damage from mining but must allow it to revegetate. I think grass would be good vegetation. We are along the top of the Dividing range (1000m) that separates the coastal country from the country that slopes out to the west so we tend to have a more temperate climate than other areas. Around my house we don't look anywhere as good as those photos, we are in extreme drought.

Ken

It just took me 2 days to put in 3 strainers 800 or so down, clay and rock, with not much rain for a long time, hard as nails, so I am glad I only have a few hundred metres, one advantage is, if you can get down 800mm, they wont be coming out, wont matter if anything falls on the fence wire, it will all break first.

I just got a giggle from a youtube vid, guy putting in 8ft posts with 1,5-2ft into soft soil, no braces, with wire net fence, good luck when even sheep start rubbing on that...lol...

Latest posts